Dan was born in 1952 in Ottawa Ontario, Canada. His father was a policy advisor to Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and his mother a secretary. He attended Catholic schools growing up and like most good Catholic boys he wanted to become a priest. He attended college but dropped and got into comedy. He would work the local comedy clubs and then go to his after hours club and perform there. He worked for Second City Comedy in both Toronto and Chicago. He was a founding member of Saturday Night Live. It is here where his life would take off. This is not a best of list but simply a compilation of Dan's movie work.
10. Behind The Candelabra (2013) - A young bisexual man becomes Liberace's boy toy. They have a passionate affair for many years until the boy toy is no longer a young man and he is replaced. Our boy toy takes Liberace to court for other spousal support. Movie stars Matt Damon, Michael Douglas, Scott Bakula, and Debbie Reynolds.
9. Christmas With The Kranks (2004) - Daughter tells her parents she won't be home for Christmas. Parents decide to take a cruise. Christmas Eve their daughter rings and says she will be coming home for the Holiday's. Parents have twelve hours to throw something together for Christmas. Also starringTim Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis, M. Emmet Walsh, and Cheech Marin.
8. Pearl Harbor (2001) - Romance and War always make a good movie. Two childhood friends become Pilots in WWII. They meet a beautiful girl and then the one heads off to Britain and the other heads off to Hawaii or better yet Pearl Harbor with the young lady. Cast includes Ben Affleck, Alec Baldwin, Josh Hartnett, and Kate Beckinsale.
7. Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) - Free Lance Hit man wants to get out of the business. He decides to go to his ten year High School reunion as he also has a hit to take care of there. He has the FBI after him as well as another hit man. Movie Stars John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Alan Arkin, and hank Azarria.
6. Celtic Pride (1996) - Two die hard Boston Celtic fans kidnap an opposing player during the playoffs. As this is the last year that the Celtics will play in the Garden they want to go out winners at any cost. Damon Wayans, Daniel Stern, Gail O'Grady and Christopher McDonald.
5. Tommy Boy (1995) - Son of a man who owns an auto parts factory graduates from College and heads home afterward to work in the family business. Problem is daddy passes away and if son doesn't make the division he is heading work the company will fail. He has many obstacles in the way of accomplishing the goal. Movie stars Chris Farley, David Spade, Brian Dennehy, and Bo Derek.
4. My Girl (1991) - Young girl is fascinated by death. Her mother is dead and her father runs a funeral home. She loves her English teacher and her best friend is allergic to everything. They still stay together as friends even with all the baggage. Cast includes Jamie Lee Curtis, Macaulay Caulkin, Anna Chlumsky, and Richard Masur.
3. Driving Miss Daisy (1989) - Son makes his mother hire a driver and she does not like it in the least. After awhile she accepts it for what it is. Time goes on and she realizes she would have never gotten around if she would had been on her own. Problem in the first place is it was in the 1950's when she and her driver got together and he was black. Movie stars Morgan Freeman, Esther Rolle, Jessica Tandy, and Patti Lupone.
2. Ghostbusters (1984) - Scientists open up a ghost trapping business. They are looking to make good money. As they go out ghost hunting they stumble upon another dimension, where evil is lurking. Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis and Annie Potts star in this movie.
1. The Blues Brothers (1980) - Brother is paroled from prison and has to go see a nun. When he and his brother are there she makes it known exactly what she wants, money. Problem is she wants it legit. It's going to the Church to pay back bills. Movie stars John Belushi, James Brown, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin.
Dan has been going strong for many decades. He is involved in all aspects of the entertainment business. The beauty of all this is he doesn't seem to be slowing down. His comedy is always strong and his movies are still box office draws. Dan Aykroyd is going to be with us for a quite along time and I for one am glad for it.