Like jewelry, cowboy hats speak style, with practicality and function right up there with sass.
A cowboy hat puts the wearer in the company of kings, celebrities, pilots, downhill skiers, ranchers, gamblers, gangsters, cowboys and cowgirls, businessmen and women, and political figures including presidents of the United States. All have worn cowboy hats.
Besides speaking style, every cowboy hat has a story, with some of them lasting as legends. Each one exudes its owner’s persona, which speaks pretty clearly without a word being spoken.
The shape, the color, the curl, the band, the brim width, the fit, the way it’s worn on the head, the tilt, if you will, together present a personalized piece of attire as well as an exposé of its wearer.
How your cowboy hat got to be the way it is speaks of the wearer’s experience. Stains, fading, rips, tears, and other aberrations from brand new say what the hat has been through, while perched topside on your head.
- Perhaps it protected you from the hurts and humiliations you would have sustained, had you not had your hat on. True story: A sea gull once pooped big time on my head. I regretted not wearing my cowboy hat that day.
- Perhaps it protected you from invisible dangers, like the sun in places where it shines in the sky with sincerity. That’s why city folks and cow pokes alike wear one. A cowboy hat is a practical, personalized umbrella that imparts SPF99 protection from the very light that supports life. Too much sun is not a good thing.
- Perhaps it caught an arrow flying from an enemy’s bow. Or a foul in the ball park that clipped your brim before another fan in the stands caught and kept it. Or took the hook of an errant fly-fish lure while you soaked your feet in a cool mountain trout stream.
- Perhaps it simply enhances your appearance on a bad hair day. In which case, when you remove it, your flattened ‘hat hair’ will require putting the hat back on. A cowboy hat can cover your bad habits or worst flaws.
- Perhaps you want to convey a wild-and-woolly image when, in fact, you’re only a wild-and-woolly wannabe. Perhaps your hat conveys the wild-and-woolly character you already are. Either way, the cowboy hat projects ‘wild and woolly’ whether or not any of it was there to begin with.
- Perhaps you just want to stand out from the crowd, or really are a cowboy who stands out from the crowd naturally.
- Perhaps it conveys how you feel about the 2nd Amendment.
Perhaps, a cowboy hat says what you can’t say out loud, but know for sure that what a cowboy hat can say extends far beyond what was said here.