When first teaching children how to cook, it is beneficial to select recipes with just a few ingredients, at first, especially if any of the children are less than five years old.
Once you have selected a simple recipe, it is essential that you teach children what a recipe is and the number one thing that must happen for any and every recipe - the “directions must be followed" in order for the recipe to work. Children will soon learn that you must read directions and follow them in a certain order to get the desired result.
This recipe for sugar-and-spice twists only has 3 ingredients, but it has directions that must be followed in order to wind up with the “pretzel” look when they come out of the oven.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package (6) refrigerated breadsticks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- Place on shallow dish or plate.
- Open package of breadsticks. Divide into 6 portions.
- Roll each portion into 12-inch rope.
- Roll in sugar mixture. Twist into pretzel shape.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheet.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Serves 10 - 12