Did you know biscuits are said to have first appeared 10,000 years ago in China, where dry rice pies with sesame and fruits were made?
Other stories mention that the Assyrians prepared thin rusks made of barley and wheat dough, which they then placed in clay vases and baked on embers. Thousands of years later, depictions of worker’s stirring an oven’s fire in which biscuits are being baked were found in an Egyptian tomb dating back to 2,500 B.C.
Either way, biscuits have long been a staple of the southern diet. When growing up, it was not unusual for my family to have biscuits at every meal – morning, noon and night. We’d even use them sometimes in lieu of cake when having strawberry shortcake – cutting the biscuits in half, pouring strawberries and juice over them and then adding a healthy dollop of whipped or vanilla ice cream.
This recipe for buttermilk biscuits is a fun one to make with kids. Have butter and jam ready so you can share them hot out of the oven.
- 1 ¼ cups cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold & cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Quickly add butter milk to the flour mixture.
- Mix only until it all comes together.
- Remove dough to a floured work surface. Put some flour on your hands and lightly knead the dough until it is uniform looking.
- Pat (don’t roll) the dough out to about 3/4” thickness. Flour your cutter and cut biscuits without turning it.
- Place biscuits onto baking sheet.
- Gently form the scraps into little biscuits. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake biscuits for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut them out
After cutting put your biscuits, gather the scraps, roll them up and make little biscuits to go with the others. These little ones are just as tasty.
The bacon, egg and cheese biscuit is a staple of many fast food breakfast menus. I wonder how many go out the drive-thru windows every morning?
Biscuits and gravy
This variety is better eaten at a table, not while driving down the road! It could even be a bit messy if you are riding shotgun should there be a need for a quick stop.
Biscuits and honey
It's been said that eating the honey of local bees can significantly decrease one's allergy problems. What better way to eat that honey than to pour it over hot biscuits and butter?
Meatloaf, biscuits & brussel sprouts
While growing up, fresh baked biscuits were the bread served with our meals, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. That doesn't happen in too many homes any more.
Don't forget the pup
There are also good recipes available for dog biscuits do don't forget your best buddy. You probably should not feed him too many of the same kind of biscuits you eat.