Inspired by its accomplice, the NRA, the Republican-led U.S. House of Representatives continues to leave schools and children wide open to assault by armed criminals who have easy access to military style assault weapons and handguns.
Congress is a critical dimension of government that must act in concert with the executive branch to bring more effective controls over guns in America. 90% of Americans want that, while nearly 100% of Republican House Members do not. That must change.
The President and Democrat members of both the House and Senate are on record for advancing change and improvement that will make children, schools, and communities safer.
The Second Amendment, the Right to Bear Arms, has become obsolete as society and the nation have advanced beyond more primitive times. Keeping the Constitution up to date is the responsibility of the President and Congress. When laws are left to obsolescence by neglect, they not only become unenforceable, they may become dangerous.
The Right to Bear Arms in the 21st Century should mean the following. (List of the 21st Century meaning for the Second Amendment)
1. People have a right to control the mechanisms needed for personal, home, and community defense.
Local and state law enforcement entities are the legitimate extension of persons, and as such they are the designated and preferred mechanisms for personal protection.
2. People may use guns of a particular type when licensed for specific legitimate purposes in specific places and under well-defined conditions.
3. Guns for personal must be outlawed with exception of specific permitting as defined in #2. now.msn.com
4. Liability for guns used by criminals must be assigned to gun manufacturers such that they must be assessed for damages committed by persons engaging in unlawful use.
5. Acts of violence by anyone against people, including children, in public places and in homes must bear the highest form of punishment permitted by law with automatic sentencing as prescribed by law.
6. Gun manufacturers who are government contractors and suppliers must support the removal of guns from society or be disqualified as a supplier to the U.S. Military and Homeland Security.
The old logic and reasoning for the Right to Bear Arms has been replaced by the advance of modern institutions and mechanisms for dealing with crime and safety. State National Guards are the militia referred to in the current law. People belonging to the National Guard are issued weapons for training and mission-specific purposes. They do not carry them at will, nor should persons in society.
The focus of society must be on identifying persons who have a propensity for violent criminal behavior and getting for them either treatment or incarceration based on medical and psychological science, and not antiquated notions about the freedom to carry and to collect guns.
- Felon wielding an AK-47 military assault weapon
- Shootout in a school with children and staff present
Congress is guilty as charged.
"Police: Gunman wielded AK-47 inside Georgia school; no one injured
By Catherine E. Shoichet and Tristan Smith, CNN
updated 4:12 AM EDT, Wed August 21, 2013
Gunman opens fire in elementary school
- NEW: Police say Michael Brandon Hill, 20, faces aggravated assault charges
- NEW: No explosives were found in the suspect's vehicle, police say
Witness to CNN affiliate WSB: Shooter said "he was not afraid to die"
Shooter was armed with an AK-47 "and a number of other weapons," police say
Atlanta (CNN) -- A gunman who opened fire at a Georgia elementary school on Tuesday was armed with an AK-47 "and a number of other weapons," police said.
The shooter barricaded himself in the school's front office with employees before eventually surrendering to police, DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander told reporters.
Michael Brandon Hill is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, terroristic threats and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, police said.”