The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was originally planned to aid travelers in their quest to travel from mainland Virginia to the eastern shores of Virginia and Delaware. What started as a convenience became one of the seven engineering wonders of the modern world.
From the 1930’s through the 1950’s the only way to cross was by ferry. The planning commission decided that there needed to be a permanent structure created. They sold $200,000,000 in bonds and began the bridge-tunnel. When opened on April 15, 1964 it was 17.6 miles long which included two tunnels that were each one mile long and four man-made islands.
A second section was started in 1995 dividing east and west bound traffic. This expansion was opened on April 19, 1999. This section had bond sales of $197,185,177. No local, state, or federal money was used.
Millions of vehicles, personal and commercial, have passed over these bridges and through these tunnels. Folks traveling between Virginia and Delaware cut approximately 95 miles off their trip making the cost of the tolls economical.