Here is a list of township schools that used to serve Center Township. Many of the smaller schools gave way to consolidation. Lynch and McCutchanville survived into the 1960s, but only Stringtown, Highland, and Harwood still operate as schools.
Stringtown School No 1
The first center township school was Stringtown School at Stringtown and Mill Rds dating back to 1869. Here is the school circa 1900 though
the present school has been altered by additions
Mt Pleasant School No 2
School No 2 at Mt Pleasant and Old State Rd was built in 1888
Charles Sweeton modified the house in 1926 to be his residence (shown here), which has changed little over the years
McCutchanville School No 3
Though McCutchanville School dates back to the mid 1800s, here is the school after it was rebuilt in 1914. The larger school
helped accomodate the consildation of smaller schools. The school closed in 1966 and now serves as the McCutchanville Fire Department station
Lynch School No 4
Center Township School No 4 was located at Oak Hill and Lynch Rds. This school replaced the old one in 1930 but closed in the 1960s. The school
later became the Oaklyn Library and is now offices.
Highland School No 5
Here is School No 5 at First Ave and Kratzville Rd around 1900. The building most will recall was built in 1923 and was later claimed by additions. The school was recently remodeled like an old schoolhouse complete with a bell tower
Union School No 6
Not much is known about Center Township School No. 6, a.k.a Union School, aside from that it was on Darmstadt Rd near Mohr Rd. It later consolidated into Highland in 1923.
Hooker School No 7
Located where Whetstone splits off of Oak Hill Rd, Hooker School was established around 1870. The school was closed in 1918 when it was consolidated into McCutchanville, and it was torn down in 1938.
Kansas School No 8
Center Township School No 8 was also established in the 1870s though this building was erected in 1884. It was consolidated into McCutchanville and was closed. It was later a colored school and was finally razed in 1940.
Hornby School No 9
Hornby School was built around 1883 near the the justcion of US 41 and Petersburgh Rd, what is now part of the airport. It was closed around 1900 and was remodeled as a residence in the 1920s. The school was torn down in 1965
Kratzville School No 10
Not much is known of Kratzville School other than it was on Kratzville Road north of Mill Road and first shows up around 1891. School No. 10 was consolidated into Highland in 1923
Hardwood School No 11
Center Township School No 11, also known as First Avenue School, was built in 1909. The school was enlarged in 1920s. The original school was torn down by later additions making the gymnasium the oldest remaining portion.