Best New Dorm Food List
No refrigeration required
- Justin’s Nut Butters – pouches with peanut, almond, hazelnut and chocolate (without added oils or sugar). Find them nationwide at Whole Foods.
- Hormel Compleat’s Balanced Selections- Cheese and Spinach Ravioli. Find them at most Long Island grocery stores in the canned food aisle. Shelf stable with only 230 calories, 5 g. fat, 550 g. sodium, 37g. carbs and 8 g. protein
- Wild Garden Hummus to go (with multi-grain chips) Shelf stable and delicious. Find these at ShopRite in Plainview, NY or online.
- Uncle Ben’s Rice Ready Cups- Simple, plain brown rice is easily heated in a microwave. Add your favorite salad dressing for extra flavor or try their Roasted Chicken flavor (180 calories 25 from fat, 2.5g fat, 37g. carbs, 3g protein). Find them in the rice or boxed "mac'n cheese" section of your favorite market.
- Flavored or plain Rice cakes- a crunchy good snack low in fat and calories. Any brand.
- Beef Jerky- packed with protein, and available at grocery, drug store and convenience stores. Look for low sodium varieties on BestBeefJerky.org.
- Raisins or other dried fruit in portion-controlled boxes offer good, sweet go-to nibbles.
- Air popped popcorn- get yourself an air popper (around $20) and some real popcorn kernels. Head to the spice aisle for Jane’s Krazy Mixed-Up Salt, Montreal Steak seasoning, Cinnamon sugar, or Cheddar Cheese for some sweet or savory popcorn toppings. For your chocolate fix- scope out the ice cream topping aisle for caramel, marshmallow or chocolate shell!
For other helpful Long Island resources, please visit:
- Long Island Grocery Stores, including specialty shops and those that deliver
- Where to purchase farm raised poultry on Long Island
- Grocery 101: Holiday Essentials
- Where to purchase Prime Dry Age Meats on Long Island
- Where and how to purchase a lobster (and other seafood) on Long Island
- Grocery 101: Basic Staples Lists
- Long Island Farmer's Markets: Locations and Dates
- Long Island Farm Stands
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Stumble
Write for Examiner.com
Examiner.com is always searching for new writers. There are a huge variety of topics to choose from. View the list of available titles to see where your expertise lies. Be sure to use this link when you apply, as I’ll be recognized to make an extra $50 if you’re accepted as an Examiner. This is an incentive that you too will have a chance at when another writer is signed up under your title link.