Your favorite mom deserves a personal gift she'll treasure -- so give her the gift of a precious memory. Living in the greater Detroit area means that you have plenty of choices to take her to a show this weekend or present her with tickets to an upcoming production. Whether the mom you’re gifting is a hopeless romantic, a woman who loves to laugh, a music aficionado, or someone who takes her drama seriously, here are some choice suggestions for local shows that either open this weekend or are currently in production.
"The Andrews Brothers" at Meadow Brook Theatre
For the Musical Comedy Fan
- “The Andrews Brothers” at Meadow Brook Theatre: An old-fashioned romance set in WWII with that great ‘40s music, with singing and dancing by an awesome cast. Runs through May 18, 2014.
- “Kiss Me Kate” at the Village Players in Birmingham brings the magical music of Cole Porter and his take on Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew.” Runs through May 18, 2014.
"Into the Woods" at The Ringwald
For the Refined Music Aficionado
- “Into the Woods” at the Ringwald in Ferndale has been reimagined for this intimate theatre, with a focus on Sondheim’s amazing music and off-beat storytelling. Runs through June 2, 2014.
- “Turandot” at the Detroit Opera House: Michigan Opera Theatre’s lavish production of a Puccini favorite. This is the opera that gives us the popular tenor aria, “Nessun Dorma.” Runs through May 18, 2014.
"Rhinoceros" at The Abreact
For the Non-Conformist Mom
- “Rhinoceros,” the classic theatre of the absurd play by Eugene Ionesco opens this weekend at The Abreact Performance Space in Detroit. Runs through May 31, 2013.
"Richard III" at Performance Network Theatre
For the Intellectually Feisty Woman
- “Richard III” at Performance Network Theatre in Ann Arbor has been reworked into a “gender fluid” format with the amazing Carla Milarch as the eponymous villain. Runs through June 1, 2014.
- “August: Osage County” is still playing at the Hilberry Theatre, on the campus of Wayne State University. This is the play the film was based on – see it live and in person. Runs through May 10, 2014.
"Spring Comedy Festival" at the Purple Rose Theatre
For the Funny Lady
- “Spring Comedy Festival” at the Purple Rose Theatre in Chelsea is a series of short comedies that is long on laughs. Runs through May 24, 2014.
"Steady Rain" at Planet Ant
For the Tough Love Mom
- “A Steady Rain” is the story of two Chicago policeman who return a child to his uncle, who turns out to be a cannibalistic serial killer. Tough theatre from the gang at Planet Ant in Hamtramck. Runs through May 24, 3013.