The First Friday Art Walk is held Friday May 2 in the Crossroads Art District. Festivities include local artists, food, drink, art galleries, and entertainment. The Brookside Art Walk runs through Sunday in the Brookside Shopping District.
Two major sporting events will be held in Kansas City this weekend. The Kansas City Royals take on Detroit at Kauman Stadium Friday through Sunday. Sporting Kansas City hosts Columbus May 4 at Sporting Park.
Theater May 2 through May 4:
- Barn Players: 6219 Martway, Mission, “Follies,” closes May 4.
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Schoolhouse Rock Live!,” closes May 18.
- Fishtank Performance Studio: 1715 Wyandotte, “First Lady?,” closes May 3.
- Folly Theater: 300 W. 12, Kansas City Burlesque Festival, closes May 3.
- Hollywood Theater: 501 Delaware, Leavenworth, “Beau Jest,” closes May 3.
- H&R Block: Union Station, “No Dogs Allowed!,” closes May 17.
- Kansas City Repertory Theatre: Copaken Stage, “A Little More Alive,” closes May 11.
- Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre: 3614 Main, “Steel Magnolias,” closes May 4.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10, “The Musicals of Musicals: The Musicals,” closes May 25.
- Unicorn Theare: 3828 Main, “Water by the Spoonful,” closes May 18.
Aftershock Bar and Grill
Aftershock Bar located at 5244 Merriam Dr. in Merriam, Kan. Saturday the club features Haunting Skies Presents: The Path of Dybbuk CD Release Party with Collapse, Shoot the Hero and The Sibyl. Sunday Gorilla Music Presents: Battle of the Bands with Captiva, Dead Seven, May 1968, Dirigible Squared, Knot Afrayed, Khing Troy, Insanitones, Sardis, and In Extremis beginning at 4 p.m.
Davey's Uptown Ramblers Club
Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club is located just south of downtown at 3402 Main in Kansas City. Friday night the club presents House Rules and the Zachary Simms Band at 9 p.m. Saturday night the club features Koffin Kats and American Discord at 9 p.m. The club charges a $7 cover on Friday and $10 on Saturday.
Kellys Westport Inn
Kelly’s Westport Inn located at 500 Westport Road, in the Westport Entertainment District, will feature on stage the Pat Lentz Band at 10 p.m. At 10 p.m. on Saturday night, Flannigan’s Right Hook takes the main stage. Kelly’s Westport Inn has an outdoor dining and drinking area located on the rooftop of the business.
The RecordBar is located at 1020 Westport Road in the Westport Entertainment District. On Friday night at 10 p.m., the club presents Matt Pryor and Blue of Colors, a cover charge of $12 applies. Saturday at 9:30 p.m., the club features Dodos and Cave Girls with a cover charge of $15.
The Riot Room
The Riot Room is located just north of Westport Road at 4048 Broadway in the Westport Entertainment District. Friday night at 8 p.m. Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs, Kristen Paludan and the Key Party, and Anna Cole take the stage. Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. Shreds N’ Threads, Late Night Callers, and Mace Batons take the stage and at 8 p.m. Denita and Sene, Heuroco S, and Sheppa take the stage.