Fireworks, jazz, patriotism, picnicking, and the Kansas City Symphony take to Union Station on Sunday for the Celebration at the Station. Spectators celebrate the contributions of military veterans as they are entertained on the grassy confluence between Union Station and the Liberty Memorial. General Richard B. Myers and the Texas Tenors will be on hand for the event.
The Westport Roots Festival will be held on Saturday between Pennsylvania Avenue and Mill Street on Westport Rd. The festival features 26 performers including singer songwriter Billy Joe Shaver, Loaded Goat, Calamity Cubes, and County Graves among others.
Sporting events are abundant this weekend as the Kansas City Royals take on Houston at Kauffman Stadium. The Kansas City T-Bones take on Fargo-Moorhead the 23rd through the 25th at Community America Ballpark. Sporting Kansas City plays Toronto on the 23rd at Sporting Park and the Bad Prom Run is held at Arrowhead Stadium on the 23rd.
Theater May 23 through May 25:
- Corbin Theatre: 15 N. Water, Liberty, “Gusewelle and Brown-Page 3,” closes May 23.
- Fishtank Performance Studio: 1715 Wyandotte, “First Lady?,” closes May 25.
- Mystery Train Theater: various locations, “Funeral for Brother John,” closes June 7.
- Off Center Theatre: Crown Center, “A Little Night Music,” closes May 24.
- Quality Hill Playhouse: 303 W. 10, “The Musicals of Musicals: The Musicals,” closes May 25.
- Uptown Arts Bar: 3611 Broadway, “Shakespeare was a Thief,” closes May 23.
- Whim Productions: The Arts Asylum 1000 E. 9th, “Flowers in the Wardrobe,” closes May 31.