September 24, 2013
This past week Stephen King, one of the undisputed masters of horror, turned 65. And today his long-awaited sequel to The Shining - Dr. Sleep - was released. So, in honor of the King of horror, here are 38 of King's greatest moments.
- Carrie – Prom massacre
- Salem’s Lot – Boy at the window
- Salem’s Lot – Meeting Mr. Barlow
Whether it’s in prison or held against your will as your inept priest looks on, meeting the Master is always terrifying.
- Salem’s Lot – Mrs. Glick Rises
I had nightmares about this scene.
- The Shining – Ice maze
- The Shining – Grady Twins
Everyone’s favorite scary little girls.
- Creepshow – “They’re Creeping Up on You”
The best of the shorts in this anthology film, it’s just xenophobia with cockroaches.
Being stuck inside a car with a rabid dog outside is terrifying.
- The Dead Zone
Terror isn’t the only thing that’s scary. This film is all about emotional loss, and the heaviness of Christopher Walken’s character ironically lifts this movie to another level. One of King’s best, no doubt, and completely underappreciated.
- Christine – Cars aren’t so cool
- Children of the Corn – “Outlander!”
A little girl creating fire with her mind = terrifying.
- Silver Bullet – It’s always who you least suspect
- Stand by Me – Leeches
- Stand by Me – Vomit carnival
- Apt Pupil
- Tales from the Darkside –“The Word Processor of the gods”
- The Running Man – Reality TV
King predicted our current “entertainment” predicament long before the Hunger Games.
- Pet Semetary – Gage
- Pet Semetary – “Sometimes, dead is better.”
- Pet Semetary – Zelda
Tim Curry will always be a legend because of this film, always.
- Misery – Hobbling
There’s a scene with King, Tobe Hooper, Joe Dante, John Landis, and Clive Barker. That’s too much horror mastery for one film.
- The Stand
- Needful Things – Sleeping with the Devil
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The Mangler
Ted Levine is marvelous in this, as is Robert Englund.
Everyone’s dream turned into a nightmare.
- The X-Files – “Chinga”
- The Green Mile – Execution gone wrong
- Dreamcatcher – Duddits
- Dreamcatcher – Bringing horror back into the bathroom
Not since Psycho has a bathroom been so horrible.
- Secret Window
Two words: Johnny Depp.
- The Mist –Ending
Love it or hate it, King himself said he wished he’d thought of that.
- The Mist – Mrs. Carmody
One of King’s most hated characters. He took Carrie White’s mom and pumped her up on evil Red Bull to make this Mrs. Crazy Carmody.
- The Mist – Creatures
We never fully see them (except for the spiders and those flying things) but damn are they scary.
- The Mist – “Daddy, don’t let the monsters get me”
We all cried, like little girls.