The Republicans have the same opportunity to win the senate this year as they did when they captured the congress in 2010. The president’s approval rating remains relatively low and there’s enough scandals to go around.
So what does the GOP need to do to win the senate this fall?
1. Stop the infighting. GOP leaders need to reign in their compulsive remarks about those in their party that are not towing the line.
2. Stop making concessions to an already unpopular president. When someone wins “biggest lie of the year” aka “You can keep your doctor..” there’s no need to promise not to change anything about their signature accomplishment.
3. Stick to economic issues and a plan to create jobs.
4. Stand up to unfounded emotional charges of wars on women, gays and minorities.
5. Lay out a plan to reduce the debt while offering a people a realistic way out of being stuck in a permanent underclass.
It’s true that things currently look pretty good for the GOP come fall.
However, just as in professional sports, teams that sit back and simply try to run out the clock can find themselves in a riveting finish.
By implementing the steps above that won’t be necessary in November.