Here is a quick list of 5 items that everyone seems to have too much of. Use them, pair them down, donate or give away the extra. It will make decluttering your home much easier.
1. Travel size items. What is it with hotel visits that make us scoop up all the shampoo and little soaps? This is fine if you actually use them. Go through your stash and pare down to a sensible number. Homeless shelters are always glad to receive donations of your extras.
2. Soaps and bath stuff. Going along with our theme from above, we have another surplus in the bath area. Bath crystals, bubble bath, scented soaps and sprays are great gifts from friends and family. Put them to use instead of just storing them and dusting the bottles...(you do dust the bottles, don't you)?
3. Candles. Another great gift. Stop waiting for the perfect time to light a candle and realize that the perfect time is now. When the candle has burned down to a nub....throw it away. Using candle refills in holders is fine, but be reasonable. Do you really need 20 empty glass candle holders?
4. Vases. It is always good to keep a couple of different size vases around for when your special someone brings your flowers. Notice I said "a couple". Donate your excess...or even better fill them with flowers and surprise a friend with an unexpected gift. Tell them they can, "Keep the vase".
5. Hangers. I'm convinced these breed in the dark closets at night. Go through closets and gather all the empty hangers, keeping a dozen or so on the rod to the side. Again, these can be donated to your local thrift store.