Salads can be boring or they can be fun! In the summer heat moms like to turn to a healthy salad for dinner or an appetizer when the house is hot from the afternoon sun. Summer salads are cold, fresh, and pack a wallop of nutrients for the whole family, and there is no oven on heating up the house.
Be bold and creative and try these simple salad recipes this summer. Visit the Laguna Hills Farmer’s Market on Fridays from 9 am to 1 pm to stock up on fresh vegetables for summer salads.
- This classic salad is full of delicious tomatoes, good olive oil, protein-rich fresh mozzarella. Having this summer salad chilling in the refrigerator and available for the family after being out all day, will hold them off for dinner and fill them full of vitamins and minerals. Add a drizzle of Modena Balsamic Vinegar from Trader Joe’s creating a tangy flavor.
Salty and Sweet
- Grill red bell peppers until hot and there are grill marks. Then peel peppers to reveal a sweet, peppery flavor and layer with briny slabs of feta cheese and top with chopped chives, sea salt and pepper making this salad irresistible.
Creamy and Sweet
- This creamy, sweet, and spicy salad is unusual but over the top delicious. Layered Burrata, an Italian cheese which is mostly mozzarella but inside contains creamy bliss, and thickly sliced peaches topped with a spicy olive oil and cracked pepper will be a favorite as an appetizer or ditch the olive oil, salt and pepper and drizzle with raspberry sauce for dessert.
Citrus and Cream
- Layered thickly sliced oranges and thinly sliced part skim mozzarella stacked high and drizzled with olive oil looks beautiful on a plate and the flavors complement one another nicely.
- Delicious, toasty, salted French bread cubes mixed with crunch veggies and an out of this world tangy vinaigrette make this dish a favorite for the whole family. The salty crunch from the croutons makes this salad tough to stop eating.