For most dogs, a fun activity outdoors with their people is a tail-wagging good time. Whether it's an organized event or just a quick game of fetch, Frisbee or a walk, summer offers all sorts of opportunities to hang out (outside, that is) with your furry friends.
To get you started, here are five fun ideas.
- Learn a new skill. Set up a few fun obstacles in your backyard for a do-it-yourself agility course. Your dog's hidden talent may surprise you!
- Make a splash. Teach your dog to swim for safety and then chill out together at the pool, lake or beach.
- Visit the ballpark. Find out when a stadium near you is hosting a pet-friendly event and go.
- Take a hike. Get off the beaten path for a fun adventure.
- Make friends at the dog park. Check out the local dog park and make a few new friends. Mind your dog park manners and stay safe.
Remember to look for the short and simple opportunities to get your pal out of the house for a fun adventure. Eating out? Try a restaurant with a dog-friendly outdoor dining area. Running a quick errand? If you can stay in the car for the errand, take your dog along for the ride. Better yet, go somewhere he's welcome to come inside - like a pet supply store or dog bakery.
Whatever you do, stay safe in the heat. If it's too hot somewhere for you, it's definitely too hot for your dog. Keep the water and pet supplies handy and have fun!