Yesterday, I heard someone say that he would upgrade his computer to windows 8 software for a computer several years old. After listening to his goals to develop a t-shirt business, I informed him that upgrading to windows 8 would not help him in any major way. Job Seekers and career changers are encouraged to break free from outdated career ideas. Seek to learn those things that are relevant for your career goals.
- One instant way to do that is to research career trends and jobs on www.careerplanner.com. Another way to research is to go to You Tube's educations site on http://www.edudemic.com/the-top-12-youtube-education-channels/ and put in your career interests and see if any interesting educational video has been produced.
- Keep in mind that many of the ideas that we used even as much as two years ago may have been replaced by a faster, more cost beneficial manner of conducting business be it mail order services used by ebay or career interviews taking place on skyped or even seeking employees on LinkedIn. Now if you have to ask, "What is Linkedin?", then you are worthy of a quick break free session to help you embrace old career ideas.
- Break free from thinking that hand carrying resumes are the only way to get an interview. Unless you are asked to deliver a resume, you may be perceived as not understanding how to access an online application. You are encouraged to email a copy of your resume, references and social media content to a hiring official if you know his or her name after submitting an online resume. This way you are perceived as a 'go getter' who has skills relevant to the workforce.
- Break free from old ideas about how to learn. Webinars are the new ways of learning quickly and enhancing skills. For those who have interests in working with the federal government, be sure to sign up for free webinars from The Resume Place http://bit.ly/15VsjUx. Consider alternatives to traditional jobs with flexible and work from home jobs. For those who have interests and talents in IT/Computer, Customer Service, Education, Medical or sales work, there may be viable options for you helping companies from your home office.
- Break free from feeling bad about yourself because you have been fired or laid off or were unhappy in your last position. Garner your best passions for your ideal career and learn how to master interview questions. Interviews are a time for employers to learn about your motivation, personality, qualifications (skills, education, knowledge, and abilities), manner in which you can help the company and your past accomplishments. Most importantly, companies are seeking people who will 'fit' into the company culture.
- Learn best practices for the various types of interviews including: traditional, one-on-one interviews, panel, team-on-team interviews, hand-son (competency-based), simulation and interviews with a meal. Each type of interview will tell recruiters specific information about your character. If you can keep in mind that if there is a faster, quicker, more relevant manner to conduct business, many companies will give it a try. And when you take the time to adjust your old ideas and learn how to maximize your time, your skills and your interests to help employers to win, they will certainly say, "Please let's talk about how we can help each other in business."
Let me write it for you job-winning resumes and career services uses a values worksheet and job information worksheet to help motivated job-seekers and career changers breakthrough. See us online at www.jobwinningresumes.net to get help breaking through.