If you're having a local wedding, the best help you can get is from friends and family who may have recommendations for you. Otherwise you should definitely do some research on your own searching on wedding websites for recommended DJs near your wedding location. The Knot and Wedding Wire are my two favorite wedding resources. Once you've found a few applicable DJ services, then start sending out the questions you have for them through email (if they provide one). I took into consideration the length of time it took for the DJ to respond since email is my preferred method of communication (definitely wanted a digitally savy DJ!).
Here are the top 21 questions to ask contending DJs to help you narrow down and choose the best DJ to service your wedding.
- Do you also DJ for other types of events? Are weddings your primary focus?
- How long have you been a DJ and how many weddings have you done?
- How do you customize the music experience for each couple? Can you help with song lists and providing suggestions?
- What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?
- How do you handle song requests?
- How do you keep your music collection up-to-date?
- What sound equipment do you utilize? Do you have back-up equipment? Do you have a wireless microphone?
- What will you wear to the wedding? Can I see photos you and of your setup?
- Have you played at my wedding site before (The Homestead in Glen Arbor, MI)? If not, can you make a site visit beforehand?
- Is there an additional fee for travel expenses to my wedding site?
- Do we have our choice of DJs to select from, or is one (or two) automatically assigned to us? What happens in case of an emergency?
- Will you have any assistance at the wedding? Do you act as the “emcee” and make all of the announcements? How would you describe your style?
- Do you require a meal? Do you take any breaks?
- Are you insured?
- Do you set up a sign or banner with your equipment?
- Do you offer a written contract? What are your overtime terms?
- What is your refund policy if for some reason I need to cancel or alter my date?
- What is your pricing and what does it include? Are there any other fees not included in the total cost?
- What other services do you offer (e.g. lighting, HD video screens) and what are the associated costs?
- How much of a deposit is required to secure our date? When is the final payment due?
- Why should I choose you as my wedding DJ?
Once you have your top 3 DJ's in mind and still can't decide, then follow up with specific music questions like "What five songs would you play to get people on the dance floor?" Or, "What kind of music would you play during dinner that wouldn't put people to sleep?" Of course the DJ will always take into consideration who you are as a couple, the type of music you like and what you want played at your wedding so they will be willing to work with you on song selection.
Here are some additional resources:
Martha Stewart Weddings
A magazine subscription is a great place to start once you are engaged and need to start planning your wedding. You can easily order a magazine subscription through Amazon, just click here.
A Bride's Guide
Searching the web not your thing? This book is a great resource for finding your perfect wedding DJ. To order this book on Amazon, just click here.
I'm Engaged! Now What?
You can never have enough wedding resources to help you being the planning process. Know someone who just got engaged? This would make for a great gift. To order it on Amazon, click here.