More than any of the other major categories, best director seems to be the safest to predict at this point. Alfonso Cuaron achieved something miraculous with “Gravity” and should be rewarded for it. Not to say that this is in the bag for Cuaron, especially considering recent history with the director’s branch, but without question he is the man to beat.
Here’s how the pecking order goes for the director crown:
1. Alfonso Cuaron – Gravity
2. Steve McQueen - 12 Years a Slave
3. Paul Greengrass – Captain Phillips
4. David O. Russell – American Hustle
5. Martin Scorsese – The Wolf of Wall Street
6. Joel and Ethan Coen – Inside Llewyn Davis
7. Alexander Payne – Nebraska
8. Spike Jonze - Her
9. J.C. Chandor – All is Lost
10. Ryan Coogler – Fruitvale Station
Read the full list to figure out how any of the others may be able to take down Cuaron.