It seemed for a while that this year’s nominees for best actor had pretty much settled despite another deep year of performances. That’s beginning to change now as those five look vulnerable and an industry favorite is quickly making up ground after being the last one out of the gate. It’s hard to argue against almost any of these performances, but no one is as safe as they thought they were at one point.
Here’s how things are lining up as of right now:
1. Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club
2. Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years a Slave
3. Bruce Dern – Nebraska
4. Robert Redford – All is Lost
5. Tom Hanks – Captain Phillips
6. Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street
7. Michael B. Jordan – Fruitvale Station
8. Oscar Isaac – Inside Llewyn Davis
9. Joaquin Phoenix – Her
10. Idris Elba – Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Read the list for more on where this race lies.
Next week will feature looks at best director and best picture, before issuing my own predictions for the Golden Globes.