Global warming, fossil fuels, global dimming, animal extinction, air quality, energy conservation, land, water and air pollution are just some of the many issues the world is facing. According to planetforlife.com “abundant and economical energy is the life blood of modern civilizations.” There is an increase in the global demand for energy. The International Atomic Energy Agency (2013) suggests oil prices are soaring, coal prices have doubled and we are in the midst of an energy shortage.
Some suggests fracking, solar energy, wind energy, biomass and other renewable forms of energy is needed to help save the Earth. Here are some ways we can all do our part to conserve energy and save money at the same time.
- While at home set your thermostat at energy or economy saving levels. Set your air conditioner in the summer at 76 to 78 degrees and your heater in the winter at 66 to 68 degrees.
- When sleeping set the thermostat for low energy use. Air conditioning should be set at about 76 degrees at night during the summer. Night heating during the winter should be set at approximately 55 to 60 degrees.
- If a room is not in use do not cool or warm it. Close the vents, the door to the room and keep the windows closed.
- Use lower wattage or energy saving bulbs. Fluorescent over incandescent would be the better choice for saving energy.
- Turn lights off when not in use. Turn lights down when the light is not needed.
- Turn television off if no one is watching it.
- Stop the clothes dryer as soon as the clothes are dry.
- Take shorter hot showers or install an energy efficient shower head.
- Turn off the hot water tap while you wash or shave.
- Buy energy saving appliances. Look for energy stars, yellow tags and labels and ask your salesperson for energy saving features.
Since we cannot exist one day without using some form of energy now is the time to get started on saving and preserving the Earth for future generations. Check your local energy companies such as PECO and PG&E for more energy and money saving tips. Now that you are aware of what to do get the entire family involved in helping to save the earth while saving money too!