The Sacramento area is pretty friendly to various alternative communities. Here are just a few events taking place in the next month and a half.
I really wish I could make it to this spectacular concert event on September 1st.
- As I've said before the Kundalini yoga community in Sacramento is a strong one, and on this day one of the big names in Kundalini yoga devotional music, Nirinjan Kaur will be performing a live concert. The concert is accompanied by local teacher Sukhbir who will be doing a kundalini yoga workshop. If you've never been to a live K. yoga kirtan, concert or festival, I need to tell you...you don't want to miss this. If you have, you'll already know, but in case you don't know Nirinjan Kaur herself, check out one of her videos: Buy your tickets: http://theyogaseed.org/workshops/?options%5Bids%5D=254&options%5Bsite_id%5D=23440
- Speaking of Kundalini yogi musicians, another local is Simrit Kaur. Her new album the Oracle Sessions is coming out. Be sure to get it, not only is she one of the best musicians in the Sacramento area, she's also one of the best musicians in Yogic music. Starting August, 26th you can get a free download of one of her songs on her website, linked below. Simrit will be at all the big yoga festivals coming up, Pranafest in Ashland, Oregon; Bhaktifest in Joshua Tree, and Sat Nam Fest East, in Pennsylvania. Order here: http://www.simritkaurmusic.com/index.php
- On August 23rd there will be an Ayurvedic Workshop at Yoga Seed with Jessica Rhodes. The workshop is 3 days long and includes various Ayurvedic teachings and treatments. Get more information here: http://theyogaseed.org/workshops/?options%5Bids%5D=259&options%5Bsite_id%5D=23440
- For a mix of Ayurveda and Kundalini Yoga you might want to attend the Ayurveda and Yogic Healing Immersion in Rhinebeck, NY at the Omega Institute...yes I just said New York, but this is being facilitated by local Jai Dev Singh, of Nevada City (Simrit Kaur's husband). This is Sept. 15-22nd so you have time to arrange this trip. For more info click here: http://jaidevsingh.com/immersion/omega-training
- If you're a writer there's a workshop with Robert Boswell on Sept. 28 and 29. Click here for more information: http://valeriefioravanti.com/master-teacher-workshops/
- The first advice given to writers is to read. It's common knowledge that it's important to know what's out there in the field if you want to write and in Davis, there is a new series starting this September that showcases the work of local writers, being performed by local actors. Check out the first event on September 14th. Here's a link for more information: http://storiesonstagedavis.com/
- The Sacramento Brazilian Center is taking it's Brazilian Day to Reno this weekend. The Brazilian community has a lot of annual events that keeps the community envigorated for all it's special events and classes and branching out to go on a trip might be a great way to get started. Here's a link to the event if you can get out there this weekend. http://www.braziliancentersac.org/events.html You can also call at 775-379-3185
- There will be a multicultural festival on August 24th...here's more information on the festival: http://www.sacramento365.com/event/detail/441787516/District_2_Multicultural_Festival
- One of my favorite events is coming up Sept. 27-29th...The Little Houses Festival, presented by ArtBeast Sacramento is a great camping event that's family-friendly, eco-friendly and supports Tubman House transitional housing for homeless families. For the 3 day festival things will feel a lot like you're living in an intentional eco-village. I really recommend checking this event out. It's for a great cause and may help you understand what community living might be like. Click here for more information: www.littlehousesfestival.com/
- Also, not to be forgotten, the Occupy Sac movement is still going strong. The Occupy community is meeting at least 3x a week. If you've wanted to get involved, it is not too late. Check out their calendar here: http://occupysac.com/calendar/#action=ai1ec_month&ai1ec_month_offset=1&ai1ec_post_ids=
*What's going on with other alternative communities in the area? If you're within this community please contact me or share your information. If you're looking for an intentional community to join...this is a new community forming, it seems very casual and an easy entry into learning how it is to co-house. Check out the craigslist link here: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/roo/3994120111.html
**If you're a part of the milk-sharing community, there's an attempt at researching breast milk sharing. Please share your experiences and opinions in this anonymous survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ASU_Milk_Sharing