Create a three dish potato salad that is heart healthy, rich in antioxidants, and infused with vitamin C.
Red potatoes mixed in a pomegranate red wine vinegar seasoned with dill, celery salt, black pepper, oregano, paprika, mustard, low-calorie mayonnaise, garlic, sweet red onions, pickled relish, cumin, parsley, red pepper flakes, and a dash of sage makes this particular potato salad unique, healthy, and absolutely amazing.
5 red potatoes
1/2 of one red onion (diced)
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of dill
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of sage
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup of pickled relish
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of spicy Dijon mustard
1/2 cup of light mayonnaise
1/2 cup of Pomegranate red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of paprika for garnish
1 4qt stock pot
6 cups of water
1. Place potatoes and water in a stock pot; bring water to a boil uncovered on high for five minutes.
2. Add salt and extra virgin olive oil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
4. Test potatoes for slight tenderness. Ensure potatoes do not cook too long or they will become too soft.
5. Rinse and drain potatoes under cool tap water.
6. Once potatoes have been cooled; cut potatoes into quarters, place potatoes in a large mixing bowl and set to the side.
7. Heat a skillet on medium heat, add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, caramelize onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes together.
8. Set contents in skillet to the side.
9. Mix pomegranate red wine vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, cumin, celery salt, sage, oregano, black pepper, and dill with a wire whisk for approximately one minute.
10. Remove contents from skillet and use a wooden spoon to fold into dressing.
11. Slowly mix in the dressing with potatoes; stir in pickled relish, and parsley.
12. Fill three small serving dishes with potato salad, lightly garnish with paprika, and serve.
Visit Livestrong.com to learn about the health benefits of red potatoes (Source: Tremblay, Louise 2014).