‘Zero Dark Thirty’ expanded nationwide and topped the North American box office for the weekend of Jan. 11-13, according to industry figures released Monday.
The CIA thriller about the hunt for Osama bin Laden earned $24.4 million, pushing its total take to $29.9 million since opening in limited release in December.
Among the newcomers, horror comedy spoof ‘A Haunted House’ ($18.1M) out-dueled mafia action film ‘Gangster Squad’ ($17M) for second place.
‘Django Unchained’ ($11M) dropped two notches to fourth in its third week as it crossed the $125 million mark overall, the best box-office earner of any Quentin Tarantino film.
‘Les Miserables’ ($9.6M) slipped one spot to fifth in its third week as it neared $120 million overall.
‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ ($9M) fell from third to sixth in its fifth week as it approached $280M overall.
Presidential drama ‘Lincoln’ ($6.3M) hit the $150 milion mark in its 10th week, inching up one spot to seventh.
Billy Crystal-Bette Midler comedy ‘Parental Guidance’ ($6M) dropped three spots to eighth in its third week as it crossed the $60 million mark overall.
‘Texas Chainsaw 3D,’ which opened with $21.7 million to top the box office for the weekend of Jan. 4-6, plummeted to ninth in its second week, earning $5.2 million and $30.8 million overall.
Bolstered by eight Oscar nominations, ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ ($5M) cracked the top 10 and has earned $41.3 million in nine weeks of limited release.
The top 10 for Jan. 11-13:
1. ‘Zero Dark Thirty,’ $24.4M ($29.9M overall, four weeks)
2. ‘A Haunted House,’ $18.1M ($18.1M, one week)
3. ‘Gangster Squad,’ $17M ($17M, one week)
4. ‘Django Unchained,’ $11M ($125.3M, three weeks)
5. ‘Les Miserables,’ $9.6M ($118.7M, three weeks)
6. ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,’ $9M ($278.2M, five weeks)
7. ‘Lincoln,’ $6.3M ($152.6M, 10 weeks)
8. ‘Parental Guidance,’ $6M ($60.6M, three weeks)
9. ‘Texas Chainsaw 3D,’ $5.2M ($30.8M, two weeks)
10. ‘Silver Linings Playbook,’ $5M ($41.3M, nine weeks)