The 35th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival, which takes place on Labor Day Weekend, gives a nod to the future of jazz with the Chicago Community Trust Young Jazz Lions Stage. The Young Lions were added to the jazz festival lineup in 2009, so they have been part of the fest going on five years.
The Chicago Jazz Festival is at Millennium Park through Sun., Sept. 1, 2013. The Chicago Jazz Festival taking place at the Chicago Cultural Center, at Roosevelt University’s Ganz Hall and in Millennium Park on four stages. 35th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival at Millennium on Labor Day weekend
The fest presents Chicago Community Trust Young Lions Jazz Lions Pavilion on Sat.-Sun. on the Harris Theater Rooftop, above the Harris Theater for Music and Dance (205 E. Randolph St.).
This year’s lineup of schools is nearly entirely comprised of high school combos and ensembles. The sole college slot goes to the Roosevelt University Chicago College of Performing Arts Latin Jazz Ensemble led by master percussionist Ruben Alvarez.
Performing in a public space provides an invaluable critical learning experience for the young musicians. Jazz is an improvisational art that requires confidence, experience and no small measure of courage.The performance is also an exciting opportunity for students and their teachers and parents and a wonderful chance for audiences to connect to the traditional repertoire presented by the bands.
Kenwood Academy is the recipient of this year’s Jazz Institute of Chicago’s Chicago Composer Award which has commissioned pianist Bethany Pickens to compose an original work to be performed by the band at The Chicago Community Trust Young Jazz Lions Pavilion on Saturday at 3:45 p.m.
The lineup is as follows:
- Whitney Young Magnet High School Jazz Combo (11:30 a.m. - noon)
- Kelly High School Jazz Ensemble (12:15-12:45 p.m.)
- Rauner College Prep High School Jazz Ensemble (1:10-1:50 p.m.)
- Rich South High School Jazz Ensemble (2:50-3:30 p.m.)
- Pritzker College Prep High School Jazz Ensemble *3:45 - 4:25 p.m.
- Kenwood Academy High School Jazz Ensemble (3:45-4:25 p.m.)
- Jones College Prep High School Jazz Combo (11:30-12 noon)
- Chicago High School for the Arts Jazz Combo (12:15-12:45 p.m.)
- Morgan Park High School Jazz Ensemble (1-1:40 p.m.)
- Curie Metro High School Jazz Ensemble (1:55-2:25 p.m.)
- Roosevelt University Chicago College of Performing Arts Latin Jazz Ensemble 2:40-3:20 p.m.)
- Lincoln Park High School Jazz Ensemble (3:35-4:15 p.m)
The Young Jazz Lions stage is presented by The Chicago Community Trust. The Chicago Community Trust Young Jazz Lions Pavilion demonstrates to thousands of jazz fans that the next generation of the genre is alive and well, thanks to the dedication of band directors at both the high school and college level.
The Chicago Jazz Festival is presented by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events and the Chicago Jazz Partnership and programmed by the Jazz Institute of Chicago.
For the latest information on the Chicago Jazz Festival including musical lineups, visit chicagojazzfestival.us, like on Facebook at Chicago Jazz Festival or follow on Twitter @ChicagoDCASE.