There’s hardly a nook or cranny in this spacious and kid-friendly homage to nature’s outdoorsy wonders that doesn’t have something for young explorers to find – and learn about.
Fernbank officials say the “sweet spot” age-appropriate group to enjoy NatureQuest is 4-9, but at a recent visit, even teens were entertained by the plethora of interactive displays and the exhibit's realistic look.
Parents will appreciate the fact that there’s a perfect place for children to go if they’ve gotten restless going through other parts of the museum.
There’s too much at NatureQuest to possibly list everything here, but among some of the fun educational things to experience are:
• An expansive tree house, the main attraction, with wide, easy-to-climb stairs and lots of areas for play and learning. It even has a book nook with topics ranging from space and undersea creatures to the earth, recycling, and more;
• A model of a very large hollow oak tree, with sturdy netting inside for climbing up and down, from one level to the next
• A cave replica – complete with stalactites and stalagmites – where kids can shine a secured flashlight ro find model bats and lizards.
• “Night vision”-style binoculars where you see a section of NatureQuest and the nocturnal creatures that would come out -- if it were really outside and dark.
• Young diamondback terrapin turtles and two American alligators on display in aquariums.
Visitors can learn about: different types of trees, their seeds and bark; sea life; the importance of recycling and respect for the earth; what’s inside certain animal eggs; archaeology, and much, much more.
If you decide to go to Fernbank for NatureQuest or to enjoy any of the other wonderful exhibits, take note of the admission change:
-- Museum Admission (includes all permanent exhibitions, including the new children’s exhibition Fernbank NatureQuest, and special exhibitions, including Mythic Creatures: Dragons, Unicorns and Mermaids, now on view through August 14.)
· Adults: $17.50
· Students with ID and Seniors (ages 62+): $16.50
· Children ages 3 to 12: $15.50
· Children ages 2 and younger: Free
· Fernbank Museum Members: Free