The treadmill. Old reliable. Its always there when you need to get your cardio in. Run in place, stare straight ahead and look at the same thing the entire time. You work the same muscles over and over while neglecting some others while you're at it. So, how about a change to that routine of yours? Do some new movements, work some new muscles, and maybe even decrease the time you spend on it. Sound good?
1. This is the easy one. Simply walk backwards. If you need to, hold the handles to get your balance. Walking backwards involves the glutes and hamstrings to a greater extent than walking forward.
2. Perform shuffles. Turn sideways, drop the hips a bit, and move sideways. This will work the glutes well, as well as put a burn on your hamstrings and quads you never felt before.
3. Add some weight. Carry a pair of dumbbells or place a curl bar on your shoulders. This will increase the intensity and help burn more calories. You will add stress to the lower half muscles, helping you develop them better. Added weight will also work the core, making you maintain proper posture. Lastly, the weight can help you develop strength and endurance in your back, shoulders and wrists.
4. This is the fun one. Get into a pushup position with your hands on the side of the tread. When you are ready, place your hands on the tread and do a hand walk. This can be done for sets, or just go as long as you can. This hits the lats, shoulders and chest hard. Remember, use long, smooth movements.
5. Knock out some lunges. These can be body weight or weighted lunges. This will hammer your whole body as you need to make sure you are staying balanced and keeping pace with the tread. The advantage over lunges on the floor – you can add an incline to give you an intensity you've never felt before.
So there you have it. Five ways to make the treadmill work better for you. Sure, you may get some funny looks in the gym, especially during the hand walks. However, you will probably have some people approaching you asking where you go the idea for these and how they can do it. Not only will you be in better shape, but you will look smart too.