Enjoy Scott Scrivner’s “You’ll Never Know” Chili this meatless Monday.
· 2 tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 lb meatless burger patties, broken up
· 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
· 1 medium white onion, chopped
· 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
· 2 chipotle peppers, minced in adobo sauce (any spicy sauce) or 2 tbsp ground chipotele chili powder
· 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 bottle beer
· 1 32-oz can whole plum tomatoes, crushed and chopped
· 1 16-oz can tomato sauce
· 2 tbsp ground cumin
· 4 tbsp chili powder
· 2 tsp coarse salt
· 1 14-oz can vegetarian refried beans
· 1 14-oz can pinto or red kidney beans
· 1 tbsp hot sauce or more, to taste
Over medium heat, add oil to deep pot and add burgers. Break up and brown patties, then add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are softened. Add all chopped peppers and continue to sauté until all are softened. Onions will eventually disappear into sauce. Add vegetable stock or beer — alcohol will evaporate out during cooking. Bring to boil.
Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, and then bring back to boil. Add cumin, chili powder and salt. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Adding refried beans will thicken chili, so add in stages to desired thickness. Simmer 20 30 minutes, adding additional stock as needed. Re-season with hot sauce and additional chili powder as needed.
Did you enjoy reading “You’ll Never Know"? To be notified of newly published articles, simply click on the above Subscribe button.