I know a lot of us boomers will be watching the Superbowl on Sunday. I just happened to be with my family from Cleveland and my football-crazy Chicago daughter during the playoffs, so I got to see the teams battle for their honored place in the big match of the year. Now I actually know the teams a little bit and will find it interesting to watch myself.
And what will be doing while we're watchiing? Eating, of course - likely stuff like chips and pizza and cheese dip that taste salty and decadent and clog the arteries and super-pad the waistline. And because we're over 50, when we overdo it with salty, greasy stuff like that, it takes twice as long to lose the pounds.
So I started thinking about some way to keep from sinking myself majorly into a Donato's pizza. Donato's is only in Cleveland, which is where I'll be this Sunday, and they make a delectable assortment of fabulous thin crust pizzas - including pepperoni that completely covers the crust from edge to edge and is CRISPY on top. Num.
But no. I'm going to think healthier, because since I've been on this kick with The World's Healthiest Foods, I've actually learned how to make dishes with lots of flavor, few carbs, and only healthy ingredients. Hard to believe, eh? Nevertheless, it's true. I mean dishes like poached eggs over greens and mushrooms. Delicious Huevos Rancheros in 10 minutes with no refined carbs. For more ideas, sign up for their newsletter. They send out a new recipe practically every day.
And then I connected with Whole Foods and got some good ideas and delicious-sounding recipes for healthier alternatives to snacks. Herewith, a selection for your enjoyment.
- Revamp the classic crowd pleasers, salsa and hummus, with healthier alternatives like Black Bean Hummus or Fresh Pineapple Salsa.
- Instead of chips and dip, serve up some Edamame Guacamole or Nutty Red Pepper and Basil Dip with fresh veggies or make your own Cheesy Kale Chips for a nutrient-packed, crunchy snack.
- Appease even the pickiest of eaters by offering a smart alternative to personal pan-pizza with this recipe for Tortilla Hummus Pizzas.
- I love this idea for making sweet potatoes into something snackable: Pita Chips with Sweet Potato Mash and Smoked Almonds.
- Check out these alternatives to greasy ground beef: Lentil Chili, Bison Chili or Turkey Sloppy Janes.
- Don't forget the sweets. Cocoa-Oat Truffles sound fantastic (of course you have to do these ahead of time) or No-Bake Thumbprint Cookies.
I must admit right now I'm favoring the 49ers, but that could change. I just love a good game. Go, Superbowl teams!