Diversity is in the news each year but many of the articles are just scanned due to our busy lives. At the end of the year it is good to reflect on the ending year’s news so we can apply lessons learned to our everyday lives. Here are a couple of the articles your Detroit diversity examiner feels should be given a second look.
Walmart to cover domestic partners, including same-sex, with healthcare: Gay rights groups Tuesday heralded a stunning and unexpected move by Walmart. The world’s largest retail chain told employees Monday the company is extending healthcare and other benefits to domestic partner, including same-sex partners. The announcement was...Continue
Australians expose American media bias in Oklahoma murder of baseball player: The Australian media has exposed the bias of the American media following yesterday’s murder of Christopher Lane, a white college baseball player by three blacks. American media initially refused to cover the story. Fox News Channel’s...Continue
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
Diversity by the numbers
- “Three Cups of Tea”: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say”: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- “50 Activities” for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book.