The Detroit business climate has had another interesting year, particularly dealing with the impact of the bankruptcy filing by the City of Detroit. As the year began there was optimism for the future and for many businesses the optimism panned out well. Beaumont Medical won awards and Port Huron moved to imitate Detroit’s riverfront. Lakeshore Express began running commercial air service to Chicago from Oakland County Airport and then expanded it a few months later. Walmart and Amazon were both under fire again. Walmart for their wages and Amazon for their congressional pass on collecting sales taxes.
Here is a summary of key articles from the year:
More than 100 protesters wanted Black Friday shoppers at Walmart in Sterling Heights, Mich., to hear their message about social injustice, something their signs claim Walmart is guilty off. Signs witnessed at the scene by your Examiner stated Walmart pays...Continue
The Illinois Supreme Court yesterday ruled the “Amazon tax” law is unconstitutional because if violates federal rules against discriminatory taxes. The six to one ruling in the case of Performance Marketing Association, Inc., versus Brian Hamer, the Illinois...Continue
The renaissance of the Detroit riverfront is one of the success stories the beleaguered city can point to as a foundation for the future. Now Port Huron, the first international border crossing north of Detroit, can also boast of their...Continue
Helpful article series
- 7 Deadly sins of signage.
- 5 Deadly small business mistakes.
- Top tips for using Linked In- a series of the top three best practices for using Linked In to build business.
- Top marketing mistakes- includes a humorous video of leading marketing mistakes.
- Differentiate the right way- a series of articles about best practices in attracting customers.
Business development by the numbers
- “60 Insights for Mastering Business Development”.
- “8 Pillars of Career and Business Success”.
- “5 Kick-A** Strategies Every Business Needs”: to explode sales, stun the competition, wow customers and achieve exponential growth.
- “The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership”: Follow them and people will follow you.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book.
- “The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan”: How to take charge, build your team, and get immediate results