As the year comes to a close let us take a moment to reflect on the events of 2012 impacting women. Even before General Motors swapped the gender of their CEO seat women across America were breaking the glass ceiling, as reported in February:
Breaking the glass ceiling: the top women in business leadership positions: Women are continuing to break through the “glass ceiling” in unprecedented numbers. In 2012 there were a record 20 women CEOs at Fortune 500 companies. Also women hold 16% of the seats on the boards of directors at...Continue
Women were also made great strides as business owners, as reported in September:
Michigan’s women owned companies among fastest growing in nation: According to Women Presidents’ Organization (WPO), four of the 50 fastest-growing women-owned or women-led companies this year are right here in Michigan. The list is compiled by WPO and American Express OPEN the small business division...Continue
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
Diversity by the numbers
- “Three Cups of Tea”: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say”: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- “50 Activities” for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book.