One of the topics examined in 2012 addressed the growing diversity of the workforce in Detroit. There are now six ethnic groups growing in double-digit numbers annually in the Motor City so your human capital examiner thought it important to address the issue. Here are some highlights:
Those that have been in the diversity mindset for many years has seen the dialog change from “tolerating” the differences between cultures to “embracing” those differences. This was often a theme at the Oakland County Employment...Continue
Latinos are Michigan’s fastest growing ethnic group according to figures released by the state’s census. The double digit growth has increased the opportunity for diversity in the Great Lake State’s workplaces. But as this...Continue
Michigan has a growing Arabic population as Arabs look to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the American lifestyle. Once centered strictly in Dearborn (Muslims) and Hamtramck (Chaldeans) today they are found across the region. In fact Rochester Hills...Continue
Michigan has a growing Iraqi population as it is a destination for Iraqis looking for a safer lifestyle with a promising future. Dearborn is well-known as a destination for Muslim Iraqis while Hamtramck is home to many Chaldeans, which...Continue
In Michigan any company that wishes to sell to the state must have a Certificate of Awardability. It simply means that your company has been deemed to meet the civil rights laws of the state. Important in the award is...Continue
- Employment Diversity In Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Top books for those in leadership
- “First, Break All the Rules”: What the world's greatest managers do differently.
- ‘101 Tough Conversations to Have with Employees”: A manager's guide to addressing performance, conduct and discipline challenges.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area. Paperback or Kindle e-book.
- “The Servant Leader”: How to build a creative team, develop great morale, and improve bottom-line performance.
- “The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership”: Follow them and people will follow you.
- “The Ant and the Elephant”: Leadership for the self.
- “The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan”: How to take charge, build your team, and get immediate results