Yasmin Malhotra has traveled extensively, and through her experience, learned how to plan a great vacation. Traveling allows us to spend quality time with our loved ones as well as meet new people from all over the world. It provides people with a new appreciation for different cultures and lifestyles. The key to having a wonderful trip no matter the cost is to plan ahead of time.
Planning: Is It Necessary?
The idea of wandering across a foreign country, exploring new communities and meeting locals, is a romantic notion that attracts many people to exotic locales around the globe. In order to really enjoy your experience without stressing over the details, you need to implement a plan before you head to the airport.
Experienced travelers often prefer to read up on the region they are visiting and learn as much as they can about the people and culture of the area. Language can sometimes be a barrier, but there are many translation books available. If you have your mobile device with you, then Google Translate is a viable option.
The internet is a valuable resource and can take a lot of the stress out of pre-planning your destination. From researching restaurant recommendations to making hotel reservations, there are many details that can be taken care of before the journey begins.
Planning Tip 1: Research Your Destination
If you have picked the country or city that you want to visit next, read up on it to discover all that it has to offer. You have probably already heard about some of the attractions that it holds, since it enticed you enough to choose it as your next destination.
Below are some great ways that Yasmin Malhotra recommends researching the location you will be exploring on your next adventure:
1. Books: Today's bookstores often have a section dedicated to travel publications. These books are frequently organized by city or region and offer a great deal of information. Most notably, they provide sample itineraries, information about cultural traditions, recommendations for food and lodging, and insight into historic and artistic attractions.
2. Internet: Simply plugging the name of the city you want to visit into Google will provide you with a long list of resources to help you learn more about the destination. Spend some time exploring online to get a good idea of what you want to see during your trip—and remember to keep an open mind. Your list of priorities will definitely change as you learn more about the city.
3. Other travelers: If you know anyone who has visited the destination you have chosen it is a great idea to talk to them about their trip. In addition to providing you with information regarding the basics such as which museums to go to, the best restaurants in the area, they can offer details you might not find anywhere else,such as how much room you will have on the train and how you should pack to make your trip as easy as possible.
Planning Tip 2: Pack Strategically
Packing is one of the most challenging aspects of any vacation. No matter where you are going, it is imperative to keep several different factors in mind when packing the perfect travel wardrobe.
1. Weather: You want to be comfortable when you are traveling, so it is important you dress for the climate. Look up averages regarding temperature, rainfall, and other weather-related issues to get a feel for the climate. A week out, start looking up the daily weather forecast so that you can properly plan.
2. Cultural traditions: Some destinations will expect a higher degree of modesty than others. Make certain that you dress appropriately to show respect for the people of the city you are visiting.
3. Photos: You are going to be taking pictures, so make sure these are pictures you are proud to hang in your home.
Planning Tip 3: Understand the Transportation System
One of the most stressful aspects of any trip can be transportation. Do research on the best options to get around, once you have landed at your destination. You might want to consider:
1. Long and short-term transportation passes
2. Locating train and metro stations before arriving
3. Having cash on hand for cab fares as necessary
A trip starts from the moment you block off your vacation days, and Yasmin Malhotra hopes that you keep all of these tips in mind. You never know when you might face the unexpected and even the best laid plans can go awry. With careful planning you can have a wonderful vacation!