Watching Don Draper sipping one of his "Mad Men" martinis always brings out a bit of nostalgia in me. While my father more often drank hot toddys and eggnog as his Christmas cocktail recipes of choice, he loved the vibe of 60s advertising age. We listened to Dean Martin and Elvis Presley croon about Christmas, decorated our Christmas trees with an old-fashioned Coca-Cola theme and put together some beautiful wreaths for the door. In hindsight, the only thing missing from these Brat Pack-inspired holiday celebrations were the fun martini drinks that we could share with the people that stopped by during the holidays.
Looking for More Ideas for Christmas Cocktails? Click on the Links Below:
- Christmas cocktail drinks with rum from Martha Stewart, Bobby Flay and Emeril
- Tickled pink! Christmas and New Year's Champagne cocktails and punches
- Apple martini cocktail and other vodka mixed drink recipes for Xmas, New Year's
- Five classic Christmas cocktail drinks: Eggnog, hot toddy, chocolate peppermint
About the Fun Christmas Martinis
My father has been gone now for almost 11 years, but the Christmas memories still linger. And the way that I keep those memories alive is by holding onto some of the traditions that my father taught me while adding a few of my own. Having been a bartender at various points in my life, I've collected quite a few Christmas martini recipes. Some of them are more classic like the "Mad Men" martini recipes. Others qualify as the fun martini recipes, which make your best Christmas cocktail recipes all the more cheery.
To this list of best Christmas cocktail recipes I bring flavored martinis to the table -- no pun intended. Among these are recipes for apple, eggnog, candy cane and chocolate raspberry martini recipes. Naturally, I have to consult my favorite food goddess, Martha Stewart to see if she has a 'tini recipe or two that I can try. Of course, she does. And finally, I add my own take on this Christmas cocktail recipe.
Christmas Martini Drinks
Click on the hyperlinks in each paragraph to access the recipe.
- The "Mad Men" Martini recipe is really just a classic martini recipe. It's the drink that brings together gin, vermouth and some green olives in a tall stem glass. And in theory, a whole lot of Don Draper cool to the person who drinks it.
- The Apple Martini Cocktail brings together vodka, sour apple schnapps and apple juice to make a 'tini that tastes like a Jolly Rancher.
- The Candy Cane Martini combines peppermint Schnapps plus grenadine to give this Christmas cocktail recipe a candy cane twist. Don't forget to garnish side of the glass with the mini-candy cane.
- The Divine Ms. S (Martha Stewart for those of you familiar with my column) brings us the Eggnog Martini recipe. This has plenty of nutmeg, pumpkin spice, milk and brandy plus some egg yolks to make this truly one of the best Christmas cocktail recipes that I've tried. Mmmmmm!
- The Chocolate Raspberry Martini recipe is a bit of Stolis with white Creme de Cacao that can only be categorized as one of those delicious chocolate desserts in a glass.
- Ina Garten from the Food Network has an excellent Espresso Martini. This Christmas cocktail recipe uses real espresso coffee, orange-flavored vodka and some coffee liqueur. Oh so good for the coffee lovers among us!
And my own Cherry Vodka Martini Recipe:
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Pour in 1 1/2-oz of cherry vodka
- Add 1 1/2-oz of cranberry juice
- Add 1 1/2-oz of pineapple juice
- Put the lid/ strainer on the cocktail shaker and shake the cherry vodka martini
- Pour into a chilled martini class
Final Thoughts for the Holiday Season:
Remember to celebrate your holidays responsibly. Below, you'll find the numbers to the Boise City cabs.