University of Wyoming won the 2013 Western Wrestling Conference/NCAA West Regional team title by just three points over North Dakota State University in a thrilling come-from-behind performance at the school’s Arena-Auditorium in Laramie, Wyo. Saturday.
It was the fourth consecutive WWC/West Regional title for the Cowboys, who had been behind by eleven points at the end of Session I but came back to win with 79 team points. Four Wyoming wrestlers made it to the finals, and all four won individual championships: McCade Ford at 141 pounds, Lee Helbig at 174, 184-pounder Shane Woods, and Alfonzo Hernandez at 197.
NDSU placed second in the team title race with 76 points; Trent Sprenkle and Steven Monk won titles at 125 and 165 pounds, respectively.
Right in the thick of the title hunt was Utah Valley University, with 70 points, and two individual champs: Josh Wilson at 149, and heavyweight Adam Fager.
The U.S. Air Force Academy grabbed the remaining two titles at 133 and 157, thanks to Dylan Hyder and Joshua Kreimier.
At least 16 wrestlers from the WWC have had their tickets punched as automatic qualifiers for the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, to be held March 21-23 in Des Moines.
In addition to individual and team titles, a number of other honors were presented at the 2013 WWC Championships. NDSU’s Sprenkle was named the tournament’s Outstanding Wrestler, while Abner Cook of Utah Valley pinned down the Gorriaran Award for the most falls during the event (and the fastest fall, at 47 seconds). Coach of the Year was Roger Kish of North Dakota State, former University of Minnesota All-American.
Match Results – Championship Finals
- 125: Trent Sprenkle (NDSU) dec. Martin Martinez (Air Force), 6-2
- 133: Dylan Hyder (Air Force) dec. Joshua Rodriguez (NDSU), 8-5
- 141: McCade Ford (Wyoming) dec. Avery Garner (Utah Valley), 5-2
- 149: Josh Wilson (Utah Valley) won by medical forfeit over Cole VonOhlen (Air Force)
- 157: Joshua Kreimier (Air Force) tech fall Cody Park (SDSU), 17-2
- 165: Steven Monk (NDSU) pinned Curtis Cook (Utah Valley), 2:48
- 174: Lee Helbig (Wyoming) dec. Monte Schmahaus (Utah Valley), 3-2
- 184: Shane Woods (Wyoming) dec. Macain Stoll (NDSU), 7-5, SV1
- 197: Alfonzo Hernandez (Wyoming) tech fall Kallen Kleinschmidt (NDSU), 22-7
- Hwt: Adam Fager (Utah Valley) dec. Evan Knutson (NDSU), 2-1, TB1
Final Team Standings
- Wyoming, 79 team points
- North Dakota State, 76
- Utah Valley, 70
- Air Force, 63.5
- South Dakota State, 16.5
The college wrestling season is at its peak! Keep up with all the developments in the sport year round... by clicking the "sign up" button at the top of the page -- or click on the Twitter link below -- to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!