The Writers’ League of Texas is offering their 2014 Summer Writing Retreat from August 2 through 7 at Sul Ross State University in Alpine Texas. For the six-day retreat, the cost is $329 for members and $379 for non-members. Lodging is not included in the price but is available at multiple nearby locations.
For writers who are looking to get away from it all and immerse themselves in their craft, this retreat in West Texas is a great chance. According to the Writers’ League of Texas, ‘there’s something truly special and one of a kind about the stunning landscape of mountainous West Texas — not to mention the refreshing afternoon showers and cool summer evenings — that inspires writers to commune with each other and their natural surroundings and to, most importantly, dig deep and hone their craft.’
During the retreat, there will be five intensive workshops being offered:
- 'Editing Your Way to Excellence: The Second Phase of Making Your Book Sing' with Carol Dawson
- 'Long-Form Journalism in a Short-Form World' with Michael Hall
- 'The Art of Memoir: Discovering and Deepening Your Story' with Donna M. Johnson
- 'The Damned Rough Draft: Reframing and Reimagining Your Novel in its Beginning Stages' with Karleen Koen
- 'One-Week Exercise Program: Wingbeats II Workshop' with Scott Wiggerman
Please note that tuition is not refundable, but it is transferable.
Some lodging options include The Maverick Inn at $95 per night, The Holland Hotel at $95 per night, and Sul Ross University Campus Housing.
Please contact the Writers’ League of Texas with questions at their email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-499-8914. More information on the workshops and retreat registration is available on their website.