Talk about a WOW! factor in place. Mt. Brighton's grand re-opening, courtesy of lots of cash infused by its new owner, Vail, is ready to go for this coming Saturday, Dec. 14.
That's when Mt. Brighton Ski Area will host its official Grand Reopening Celebration with entertainment for everyone – from skiers and snowboarders, to those just curious about what Vail Resorts’ $10 million in renovations has done for the longtime Livingston County ski area.
“To say the least, this is the biggest thing that’s happened to Southeast Michigan skiing and snowboarding in quite a long time” said Pam McConeghy, President and CEO of the Greater Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce.
“People who have skied Mt. Brighton for many years – or haven’t been here since they were a kid – will be amazed at the transformation that has occurred over the past several months,” said Mt. Brighton General Manager Taylor Ogilvie. “And for those who have yet to experience Mt. Brighton, we’re confident that you’ll be equally impressed with our efforts. We look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday, December 14th.”
Since 1960, Mt. Brighton Ski Area in has been one of the legendary family winter destinations on the Midwest snowsports scene. With a recent influx of $10 million of improvements Mt. Brighton is now truly the place Where Epic Begins.
Here is a list of some of the many improvements visitors will see this season:
• Forty-three new snow making machines, 92 hydrants and more than three miles of new irrigation pipe that, under the right conditions, can take Mt. Brighton’s from grass to snow-covered ski runs in only 48 hours!
• A new quad chairlift replaced the Blue and Green lifts on the front side, and another new quad chairlift replaced the Yellow chair on the backside of Mt. Brighton. Silver lift was relocated to provide better ease of access from numerous points and all other chairlifts were upgraded.
• Beginner slope was re-graded, making it more user-friendly for those learning to ski or ride. Two surface lifts (like a conveyor belt) were added to help improve the learning experience.
• Existing race hill was expanded in length and the new expansive terrain park was designed by Snow Park Technologies, designer and builder of the Winter X Games slopestyle course and features.
• A meticulously redesigned lodge will be on display for the first time, featuring the new state-of-the-art Ski Hill Grill cafeteria and Bruhn’s Bar, along with the awe-inspiring Ore Creek Mountain Grill.
• The new children’s ski and ride center was designed specifically for them with pint-sized dining and play areas and will offer innovative skiing and riding programs unmatched in the Midwest.
Here's a play-by-play of what's going on this Saturday:
WCSX radio and Mt. Brighton’s “Light up the Night” benefit for Holy Cross Children’s Services will cap off the day by raising money for vulnerable children of our community. Those that wish to make a $5 donation to Holy Cross will receive a special glow-in-the-dark star and ski or ride in the Light up the Night parade of skiers and snowboarders coming down the mountain at 6pm.
Mt. Brighton Grand Reopening Schedule of Events for Saturday, Dec. 14:
9 a.m. - Mt. Brighton opens for skiing & snowboarding
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. - 93.9 “The River” on-air from Mt. Brighton and playing music on the hill
12:00 p.m. (Noon) - Red Bull Air Force parachutists dive out over Mt. Brighton and land on the hill
12:15 p.m. - Intro to Mt. Brighton with Vail Resorts’ John Garnsey, President of Global Mountain Development, along with representatives from Pure Travel Michigan
12:30 p.m. - Mt. Brighton re-opens for skiing & snowboarding
1:30 - 3:30 p.m. - 89X on-air from Mt. Brighton and playing music on the hill
1- 4 p.m. - Red Bull Wings Team samples product on the hill (18 & over, please)
4 - 8 p.m. - WCSX on-air from Mt. Brighton in support of the Light up the Night benefit
5 - 7 p.m. - Detroit Sports Radio on-air from Mt. Brighton in support of the Light up the Night benefit
6 p.m. - Light up the Night benefit for Holy Cross Children’s Services with glow/torch light parade
For more information visit its website www.mtbrighton.com or give them a call at: (810) 229-9581.