1. Life
  2. Relationships
  3. Dating

Would you...could you...go Back to the Future?

Do you ever wonder...if you were to change one little tiny detail about your day...how your life might be different? Show up a few minutes early instead of a few minutes late. Take a different route. Shop at a store you've never shopped at. Call someone you haven't spoken to in a long time. Say hello to someone you don't know. How would all of these things change the life you are leading now? And would it be a good change, or a bad change? Or any change at all?

I stumbled upon some pictures today from 2000…the year of Y2K…the year I turned 21…before iPhones and low-rise jeans and Facebook…before 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina and the Iraq War…a world in which Michael Jackson and the World Trade Center still existed…a world that seemed more innocent somehow…when I had only had a total of two significant relationships in my life and lived on minimum wage and Ramen and dreams.

I had to wonder, as I looked at the innocent, fresh-faced girl in the pictures: If given the opportunity, would my considerably more seasoned and wise 31-year-old self hop in Doc Brown’s DeLorean, travel back in time a la Marty McFly, and give my 21-year-old self advice? Warn her of things to come? Advise her on which roads to take and which decisions to make to avoid the heartbreak? Would I sit her down and look her in the eye and tell her everything I’ve learned, every lesson earned, every bridge I‘ve burned? And if I did…would she believe me?

Would she believe that she would go five years during her formative dating years without so much as kissing a boy because she had an idealistic; albeit, somewhat misguided plan to wait until her wedding day to kiss again? Would she react with shock when I told her that come 2010, she still hasn’t had a wedding day? Would she jump up and down with excitement if I told her that in the year 2003, she would land the job that had been her dream job since she was a little girl, and cry when I told her it would be taken away just one year later? Would she even begin to be able to fathom the amount of love her heart would be able to hold come 2004 when she would become an aunt for the first time; and again in 2007 when she would become an aunt for the second time? Would she spend more time with her grandparents, if I gently broke the news to her that by 2010, both her precious grandmother and grandfather would be bedridden, and unable to share with her all the stories from their lives that she forgot to make time to hear?

Would she change her plans that night in December 2006, when she would wander into a bar and he, a boy who would eventually become THE boy, would wander into her life? Would she risk it all…take a shot…throw all caution to the wind, and actually tell The Boy how she felt about him, just to see if anything turned out differently this time around? And if she did, would he STAY?

Would my 31-year-old self have the courage to tell my 21-year-old self that in 2008, she would begin a relationship that would nearly destroy her? Would my younger self even be able to imagine that my older self could, and would, willingly see this relationship through to the bitter end; enduring a litany of abusive and unhealthy behaviors, until she was a mere shadow of the woman she used to be? And would my younger Doppelganger believe me when I told her I was actually grateful for the pain and for the rain of those lonely two years, because they transformed me into the woman that I am today?

I can almost see the giant grin that would break out on younger Mandy’s face when I tell her that her 31st year would be her best year YET; a year of self discovery and passion and enlightenment in its purest, rawest form. That she would finally be settled into her niche in life; that she would be surrounded by the best friends of her life; that nearly 85,000 people would care about what she had to say each day. At that, she would probably laugh in delight and disbelief; until I showed her the evidence, and introduced her to the army of strong women who in 2001, didn’t know she existed, but by 2010, would allow her to speak wisdom and encouragement into their lives on a daily basis. Yes, younger Mandy would undoubtedly laugh and cry when I shared this news with her; and laugh and cry even harder still when I told her that at age 31, she would finally grasp how to love with every ounce of her being, live life to the last drop, and doggedly pursue the road less traveled in search of her destiny, no matter how many around her chose Easy Street.

Would I tell her any of this?

I think, after carefully considering it, the answer is no.

To tell her would be to compromise the journey. To tell her would be to forever change the outcome of certain events; thus changing the “Me” that was born from every tear, every laugh, every heartbreak. Go back and alter even one step along the way, and we would not be who we are today. And though we would almost certainly, at first instinct, choose to save ourselves from the pain, in doing so, we would never experience the gain. The blessings that came as a result of the lessons. The victory that came as a result of defeat. The break-up call that was really  a wake-up call. The agony and the ecstasy of living every moment, facing down the fears and the tears, and coming out on the other side, still standing, stronger and better and more powerful than ever. Do even one thing differently, and we might have become someone else entirely, with some other script, some other dream, some other LIFE.

So what WOULD I tell that 21-year-old girl, standing on the precipice of the rest of her life?

I think I would tell her to smile...to lighten up...to hum a little in the shower, and to sing a little in the car. I would tell her to look up at the stars more and maybe even make a wish on one, and most of all...to believe that the wish really could come true. I would tell her to walk barefoot in the grass and dance in the rain and pick a dandelion and blow all of its wondrously white fuzzy petals away, as hard as she could. I would insist that she dream more and sleep less and laugh until she cried and eat cotton candy simply for the fun of feeling it melt in her mouth. I would remind her of yellow brick roads and white picket fences and knights in shining armor...of summer days and ice cream trucks and sandcastles and fireflies.

I would tell her that the journey is not always going to be easy…but that it will always, always be worth it.

Finally, I would point me in the direction of my own north star...and whisper in my ear that it's okay to be me. Simple, human, fallible, wonderful me.

Comments

• Alylonna 3 years ago

This made me cry. At first I thought that I would go back and I'd warn my younger self of the dangers of trying to please all the time. I'd have stopped myself from spending four years in an abusive relationship. But then I read your article and I slowly changed my mind. I realise now that I wouldn't change what I have been through. I have learned the value of life and love and laughter the hard way but it is all the more precious to me because of it and nobody will ever be able to take that away from me. It was a lesson too hard won to be shattered by the hate of others.

I relate to this on so many levels. I teared up and also smiled. You sound like a great person and thank you for this piece.

• Shana Gonzalez 3 years ago

Inspiring, I just had to comment as my road has been very similar I can relate as I am 32 and feel reborn because I survived the storm. Everything happens for a reason…….

I love the way you write and I keep EVERY SINGLE one of your twitter quotes because I think each of them are beyond amazing! You empower women every single day... please keep doing so because you've made us single gals feel like we're incredible. Thanks for creating posts to look forward to every day. Love, happily single Erika, 22.

• Profile picture of jcbettyb
    jcbettyb 3 years ago

BRAVO!!!!! An article everyone should read...man and woman. Makes me realize that all the bumps in my 40 years have meant something and to wear the scars proudly. Thank you for writing something so wonderful and true...jcbettyb

• Profile picture of Maria Legato
    Maria Legato 3 years ago

I loved it! First time and it words rang so true . The words were easy and flowing n touching. Makes me feel
    Proud to be me!:)

• Profile picture of Tina Norton
    Tina Norton 3 years ago

I loved this article. It gives me hope for us single ladies patiently waiting for someone who really is going to kindly destroy us only to build us better, stronger, w/ the capability to love a way we've never known. We wouldn't be able to appreciate that now if our younger selves knew what was coming... It's true that our experiences shape us.

Tx mandy,ur articles n nuggets on twitter always come into my life @ d rite time. God bless you.

• 'Yemisi Elehinte 3 years ago

you are a God sent, you are showing women across the world that all our trials,all the heartbreak, its universal and also it is all part of the journey that will one day lead us to our greatest most beautiful selves! That is encouring! Thank you Mandy!

you are a God sent, you are showing women across the world that all our trials,all the heartbreak, its universal and also it is all part of the journey that will one day lead us to our greatest most beautiful selves! That is encouring and COMFORTING! Thank you Mandy!

• Profile picture of Zoe Hiigli
    Zoe Hiigli 3 years ago

This touched me, it came ata time when I am doubting myself because of a guy that I thougt liked me but has since disappeared. I am hurt but this has reminded me that all the experiences we go thru mean something for the people we are meant to become. I'm going to cry once for the loss of this relationship that I thought I deserved and then I'll smile and look ahead because this is not the end of me but only the beginning. Thanks for your articles and tweeter quotes. You inspire me.

Beautifully written and i can relate very much went thru almost the same journey and would not change anything for I have learned why at 28yrs today am a dazzling diamond....

cant say anything..really sometime wanna go back.. and change everything..but its to late..and what i can say.. here I go..cant blame anybody.. here it is ..and it's a must to face it.. better or worse.. have to undergo it..(dekafitria, Solo, Indonesia)

• Sha 3 years ago

This touched my heart and made my day a bit brighter...I thank you.

• Sara Santiago (@opsantiago) 3 years ago

Mandy,

I found you on Twitter recently through a friend who is one of the strongest single women I know (@annachica) and I really enjoy your quotes every day. But I most love your blogs. They are inspiring and I love when a new one comes out to remind me not to hate my single life and just be myself b/c that's all that matters. I'm almost 23 and have been single over a year now, and the last year has been absolute hell on my emotions when it comes to dating/breaking-up/relationships. I'm at the point of giving up every day b/c I don't see the point anymore. But when I read your blogs I feel a little bit better and I remind myself that I'm still young and that my whole life is ahead of me. 31 seems very far away to me right now, but I know it'll come faster than I'll realize, or want it to lol, but I can't wait b/c you make it sound much more freeing than my early 20s. Daily reminders to be myself are hard to come up with, but your blog helps me. Thank you. =]

I'm pretty sure you just changed my life forever. Thank you!

This is just what I needed...thank you!

When I first read the article, I thought I would go back to my 21 year old self and warn her. However, you are right my experiences and who I am today, wouldn't make ME.

BTW, currently, I am going through a storm (in a not so healthy relationship), I do know that I should leave but do not have the courage. However, your quotes and articles make me stronger and think of ME. Thank you for sharing.

This is one of the most moving and inspiring things I've read in a long time. I am reall thinking about what I'd say to the me of yesterday... I feel my very own blog post coming on... i will be linking to this article. Great, Great, Read!!!

-Chasing Joy (www.chasingjoyrunningfromboredom.blogspot.com)

• Jerico 3 years ago

An absolutely amazing article! You have a gift of touching the spirit of good in people. Please continue.

WOW! I truely began to believe this was the cards life had dealt me. Two failed relationships, all ending due to selfishness, yet a wonderful child was gained. My self worth has been completely erased because blaming myself is the only thing I knew to do. I just turned 30 and thought these were supposed to be the best years of your life, not starting off too well I must add, but something is changing in me. As I read this piece I realized that I am in no way, shape, form or fashion taking full advantage of what my life has to offer, I am sitting on the sidelines, letting everything else pass me by. Thank you so much for a uplifting, positive, passionate, and true article, I loved it and am now reminded to grab life by the horns and embrace the beauty that it has in store for me and my child. Thank you!

inspiring and thought provoking article. thank you.

• ChickLitShorties 3 years ago

Very well said! And anyways, would the 21 yr old you really have listened? :)

• Chasing Joy 3 years ago

I finaly finishe my most recent blog post that was inspired by this article. Please check it out and see what I'd tell my past self. http://chasingjoyrunningfromboredom.blogspot.com/2010/09/talking-to-myse... I linked to this article and gave you a shout out on Twitter.

Thanks for inspiring me.
    -Chasing Joy

Life

• Johnny Manziel
    Should Johnny Manziel apologize for his hard partying over the offseason?
    Today's Buzz
  • Crop circles
    Similar crop circles appeared in Germany and England within days of each other
    Camera
    19 Photos
  • Advanced placement
    The AP program is gaining traction as a key component in college admissions
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Beach hats
    Beat the heat with the best summer beach hats for women
    Camera
    Beach Hats
  • Expectations for ministry
    Pastor preaches to newly ordained ministers about expectations for ministry
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Medical symptoms
    See which symptoms should cause you to seek a doctor’s attention right away
    Camera