Mark the day, Monday, August 11, on your calendar.
Thanks to Billy Casper Golf, it's the day that the "World's Largest Golf Outing" will take place at more than 120 golf courses across the country. In the Metro Atlanta area, Stonebridge Golf Club and Jennings Mill Country Club will host events.
The World’s Largest Golf Outing has donated more than $1.1 million to Wounded Warrior Project. It's the largest amount ever donated by a single-day golf event. It appears more records will be broken this year.
The outings will take place in 28 states and it's open to all golfers regardless of ability. Golfers do not have to possess a USGA handicap.
“The World’s Largest Golf Outing continues to raise the bar in giving back to our injured veterans,” says Peter Hill, Chairman and CEO of BCG. “The astounding growth in participation and donations by Billy Casper Golf’s loyal golfers is humbling and shows unwavering support for our country’s heroes.”
Swag will be given out and prizes will be awarded, but the real heroes will be the wounded warriors.
“Our warriors were awed by the generosity of golfers,” adds Adam Silva, Chief Development Officer of WWP. “We salute the innovative ways of Billy Casper Golf and look forward to this year’s edition of the World’s Largest Golf Outing.”
Per Billy Casper Golf, here are some highlights from the 2013 World’s Largest Golf Outing:
· Lyman Orchards Golf Club (Middlefield, CT) raised $51,449 in total donations
· Team Calkin at Alta Vista Country Club (Placentia, CA) raised $14,960
· Four teams raised more than $8,000 each
· 10 courses hosted more than 200 golfers (Lincoln Hills Golf Club in Lincoln, CA, hosted 307)
· Teams of father-son wounded warriors, celebrities and politicians played in the event
· Three holes-in-one were recorded at Lyman Orchards, Bear Creek Golf Club (Dallas, TX) and Eastpointe Country Club (Palm Beach Gardens, FL)
“The outpouring from across the country is incredible,” says Sergeant Robert Maier, an injured service member who survived two IED attacks and played in the 2013 World’s Largest Golf Outing. “The money raised does amazing things for us and our families.”
How it works: Part of event proceeds and all of the donations from non-players benefit WWP. Some wounded warriors will be playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing.
Teams can raise additional funds to support the cause; donations to WWP unrelated to event participation are made at and more information is at: www.worldslargestgolfouting.com.