Serve! Considered the world's number one tennis player, Novak Djokovic is sharing the secrets to his success, from his holistic gluten-free diet to his yoga regime, in a new book published August 20: "Serve to Win: The 14-Day Gluten-Free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence" (click to order). And what he makes clear in the process: It's worth the work when it comes to winning.
What's on tap for the tennis guru? Try these holistic health tips for scoring on - and off - the court:
- Drink lots of warm water throughout the day.
- Make your shakes with pea protein concentrate. (Tip: You can find pea protein powder in health food stores or online, such as Now Foods Pea Protein - click for details).
- During a tournament, bypass dairy and avoid alcohol.
- On the menu: Healthy fats via avocados and cashew butter. (Tip: A natural source of iron, cashew butter is a healthy swap for peanut butter. Try spreading on an apple slice and look for organic brands, such as Artisana Raw Organic Cashew Butter - click for details.)
- Off the menu: Caffeine and sugar. (Exception: An infrequent energy gel bar before a big match.)
- Sleep seven to eight hours a night.
- Go holistic with tai chi, yoga, mediation, melatonin supplements and stress-relieving licorice tea. (Tip: Licorice tea is caffeine-free and makes a delicious dessert beverage: Learn more by clicking here.)
- Keep a diary.
- Check your stress level with a biofeedback machine.
In addition, indulge in manuka honey from New Zealand. "The first thing I do out of bed is to drink a tall glass of room-temperature water," explains Djokovic. "The second thing I do might really surprise you: I eat two spoonfuls of honey. Every day." Get more details on this special honey by clicking here.