Managers and business owners place a tremendous amount of importance on pay rates when it comes to employee engagement. Surveys, however, reveal that other criteria have a bigger impact on connecting an employee to a shared vision of the future of their organization. At the top of the list is the category of work conditions.
This has been verified by countless surveys taking many different approaches to the question. One survey disputing this myth was taken by Sam Houston State University for the Texas State Teacher’s Association.
As reported by The Associated Press, more than 44% of Texas teachers are considering changing careers. Of those contemplating leaving, 42% cited poor working conditions while less than 20% said it was because of pay. Considering that 25% of Texas teachers, who earn an average of $47,545 annually, have a second job to supplement their income.
In many offices the work conditions can be improved by one of two major, yet inexpensive, methods.
Provide unobstructed windows
First, make sure windows are not obscured. The addition of sunlight is proven to increase positivity and morale. Even in Michigan, which trails only Seattle in the number of overcast days, there is enough sunlight to brighten the days of employees.
Second, add plants. Greenery stimulates the positive brain waves, improving workplace morale. In most cases the bill for allowing employees to bring in plants is only a slight increase in the water bill.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
Resources for you:
- Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
- Cultural roadmap, look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes are interesting quizzes to test your diversity knowledge.
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons for employee and leadership development.
- Employee training and development materials from Amazon.