Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Woman, husband die in murder-suicide; Second arrest in July murder

See also

A 54-year-old woman was shot multiple times, allegedly by her husband who police said also shot himself in what appears to be a murder-suicide that happened in the northern district of Sandy Springs Wednesday morning.

Around 9 a.m., the victim's mother called 911 to report that her daughter had been shot multiple times, according to the Sandy Springs police. The woman also told police that the shooter was still on the scene, police spokesman Sgt. Ron Momon said.

Officers had responded to the scene at 7545 Chaparral Drive when they heard more gunfire, Momon said.

Once inside the home, officers found Sharon Wilkins suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, Momon said. The 54-year-old woman was rushed to North Fulton Hospital where she later died, the spokesman said.

Officers also found the woman's husband dead inside the home, Momon said. He had apparently shot himself in the head, police said.

Police have declined to release the man's name until his next of kin has been notified.

Second Man Charged in July Armed Robbery and Murder

A second man has been arrested in a deadly shooting that happened last month in southwest Atlanta.

Jerome Banks, 40, was charged with murder in the July 26 shooting of 29-year-old Claude Dickerson, Atlanta police said Tuesday. Banks was also charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to Fulton County jail records.

Banks turned himself in to police Monday and after being interviewed he was transported to jail, police spokeswoman Officer Kim Jones said.

Another man, 32-year-old Terry Denham, was arrested a week earlier on Aug. 4 for the crime, Jones said. He remained in jail Wednesday on a similar charges, the booking records show said.

A man was shot to death Saturday afternoon in southwest Atlanta, and police are trying to determine who shot the man and why.
The shooting happened around 2:45 p.m. at 691 University Ave. and police said robbery was the motive.

When officers arrived at the scene that Saturday afternoon, they found the victim with a gunshot wound to the head, police spokesman Officer John Chafee has said. Dickerson was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital where he died from his injuries, Chafee said