Wolf Pack spring training report: March 7
A quick look at the performances of former Nevada Wolf Pack baseball players and northern Nevada high school graduates in major league spring training games on Thursday . . .
- KONRAD SCHMIDT, Texas Rangers: Schmidt slammed a two-run home run off Peter Moylan in the seventh inning of an 11-11 tie with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Schmidt, entering the game for starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski, also scored two runs and is now hitting .250 (2-for-8) this spring.
- KEVIN KOUZMANOFF, Miami Marlins: Kouzmanoff went 0-for-1 in a 4-1 loss to the New York Mets. Kouzmanoff played third base and first base and started a double play at third. He is now hitting .333 (3-for-9) this spring with a double, two homers and 3 RBI.
- CHRIS DICKERSON, Baltimore Orioles: Dickerson was 1-for-2 and scored a run in an 11-10 win over the Toronto Blue Jays. Dickerson played center field and replaced starter Nate McLouth. He is now hitting .400 (4-for-10) this spring with four runs scored.
- CHRIS GIMENEZ, Tampa Bay Rays: Gimenez continued his great spring with a 2-for-3 game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. He singled and hit his second double of the spring in the 4-2 win. Gimenez is now hitting .500 (8-for-16) this spring with two doubles, a homer and three RBI.
- BRETT HAYES, Kansas City Royals: Hayes went 0-for-2 and started at catcher in a 12-2 loss to the Seattle Mariners. Hayes is hitting .286 (4-for-14) this spring with six runs scored, two homers and three RBI.
- SCOTT COUSINS, Los Angeles Angels: Cousins was 1-for-2 with a run scored in a 12-2 win over the San Diego Padres. The North Valleys High graduate is hitting .143 (2-for-14) this spring with four runs scored. Cousins entered the game as a pinch-runner for Mike Trout and stayed in the game to play left field.