Water is the most valuable natural resource on Earth. It is something we take for granted in the Western world but it is amazing how many people around the globe do not have access to clean safe water. As it is absolutely necessary to sustain life, experts warn it could be the root cause of the next global conflict.
Water conservation is a must for our future. We are beginning to feel the squeeze of the need to manage water as multi-year droughts, overdevelopment, and pollution are all factors that place enormous demands on the fresh water supply. This is not something to take lightly as misuse could lead to irreparable problems.
Judicious water use is our collective responsibility. What can each of us do? Here are five opportunities to incorporate wise water use in everyday life.
- Do not let the water run when brushing your teeth or washing dishes. This is wasteful beyond measure.
- Run full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine. A half empty load uses just as much water as a full one.
- Take your car to an automatic carwash. This may seem odd but this industry is at the forefront for water conservation as they recycle better than anyone.
- Monitor your irrigation system. Don’t water sidewalks or driveways and make sure it doesn’t run so long that water starts to flow down the street.
- Minimize showers. Get the job done but relaxing in the warm vapors for 20 minutes is an epic, selfish waste.
These are five easy steps you can incorporate into daily life that can have a tremendous impact on the volume of water you use. Conserving water is the ultimate green living mindset as it conserves Earth’s most valuable resource.