Want extra cash? By winterizing your home, you save money and energy.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling costs accounts for 56% of a home's energy use, which is the largest expense. So before we enter the winter months and the energy bills increase, perform a few simple tasks that will keep you cozy and your wallet full.
- Plug drafts- Air leaks through windows and doors are an easy and inexpensive fix by caulking and weather stripping.
- Insulate- Insulate your attic and attic door.
- Fans- By rotating your fan clockwise, it will save 10% on your heating bill. Since heat rises, the fan will push the heat downward.
- Ducts- Make sure air ducts are intact so your not losing heat.
- Plastic- Use plastic to cover broken windows or window units.
- Curtains- Open curtains for natural light that will warm the house.
Want more frugal tips and articles, click on the "subscribe" button above for e-mail alerts. Leave comments or click here to contact me with any tips or questions.