Warm your palate and the heart of your Valentine this month with a group of lusty red wines - elegant and balanced or bold and bodacious!
Commenting on our selection of "Winter Whites" for cool seasonal sipping, our friend and former University of Iowa nutrition professor and a past president of the Society of Wine Educators Diane McComber, tells us: "Usually one thinks of reds for the cold days, but here are some interesting ideas."
Traditionally, reds are the choice for winter days and certainly for February's romantic date night - Valentine's Day. Ask your favorite restaurant or wine retailer about this selection of wines that warm the body and woo your Valentine!
* Domaine De L'Engarran 2010, La Lionne Pays D'Oc - Black currant and blackberry notes characterize this blend of Syrah and Grenache, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Called "The Lioness", it undergoes 12 months of barrel aging
* CARO - named for two families, CAtena and ROthschild, is a Malbec blended with Cabernet Sauvignon (65+%) in a fruity style with elegance and richness
* Groot Constantia Langoed 2010 Shiraz - from South Africa, this peppery, spicy wine has notes of black currant and a robustness and structure characteristic of many South African reds
* Le Dix 2009 de Los Vascos - commemorates 10 years of Lafite's work in Chile. Made from 70-year-old vines and aged in new French oak, the elegant Le Dix blends more than 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Carmenére. Decant for 2 hours or more for exceptional result
* Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon The Mint, 2009 - a wine from above Stellenbosch on mountain slope where it is produced by a family-run winery