With winter and freezing weather just around the corner, a little knowledge can go a long way in protecting your pets from illness, injury, or worse.
When the trucks come out to grit/salt the icy streets ahead of a frost or snowfall, few people are aware of just how toxic the stuff they sprinkle is to our pets.
Rock salt strewn across roads and pavements, combined with vehicle owners using anti-freeze to defrost their windshields, have been causing serious illnesses in outdoor cats, and dogs that have walked through the substances and ultimately licked it from their paws.
Ingestion can be fatal in both dogs and cats if not treated quickly upon onset of symptoms, or knowledge that the animal has ingested poison.
The symptoms of ingesting anti-freeze include: vomiting, seizures, appearing sleepy and a heightened breathing rate.
It is recommended to keep cats indoors whenever roads are gritted, and to wipe your dog's paws if it has been walking outside during winter months.