During the winter, many Bangor area children spend more time inside. Making winter crafts is a great way for these children to stay occupied. Crafting is better for children than watching TV or playing video games. This snowman craft is a fun activity for children to make when it is too cold to play outside.
Some of the materials that are needed for this craft may already be available at home. Other materials can be bought at the Bangor Super Wal-Mart store. The list of materials for this craft is:
Cardboard (an old cereal box will do)
Printed snowman template
Black adhesive backed craft foam
Cup of water
This winter craft is fun for children to make. Smaller children may need help using the scissors, or with a few of the other steps. The following are the directions for this craft:
- Choose a work area and line that area with newspaper. Place the rest of the materials on the surface within reach.
- Use the scissors to cut the snowman shape from the paper. Place the shape onto the cardboard. Use a pencil to trace the snowman shape onto the cardboard. Cut the snowman shape from the cardboard. Turn the cardboard snowman over so that the lines from the pencil can’t be seen.
- Paint the head and body of the snowman white. Leave the hat unpainted. Let the paint dry. Paint another layer of white onto over the first one. Let the paint dry again. Wash the paint brush in the water and dry with paper towel.
- Cut the hat from the template. Turn the craft foam so that the white side faces up. Use the pencil to trace the hat shape onto the craft foam. Cut the hat from the foam using the scissors. Remove the backing from the foam and stick it to the cardboard hat. Use the hole punch to make a whole in the top of the hat. Tie an eight inch piece of ribbon through the hole to make a hanger.
- Glue on the wiggly eyes.
- Use the hole punch to make five holes in the black craft foam. Use the five circles for the nose and mouth of the snowman.
- Glue three buttons down the center of the larger snowman circle. Let the glue dry.
- Tie a strip of scrap fabric around the snowman’s neck.