This year, winter in Maine has been very cold. Many children don’t like to play outside when it is so cold. Craft making is a good way for children to stay busy while on winter vacation, on weekends, or after school. The following snowman magnet craft is fun and will help occupy the kiddos for a little while on a cold winter day.
Some of the materials that will be used while making this craft may be found in the household craft box. Any supplies that need to be purchased can be found at the Bangor Super Wal-Mart store. The following materials are needed to make this snowman magnet:
Printed snowman template
White, black, and brown craft foam
Scrap fabric or felt scraps
Small googly eyes
Small black buttons or pompoms
This is a fun and easy craft for children to make. Small children might need help cutting out the pieces for the snowman. To make a snowman magnet just follow these steps:
- Choose a work area and line it with newspaper for easier cleanup. Place the materials that are needed to make the snowman magnet onto the surface within reach of the child.
- Use the scissors to cut the snowman shape from the printer paper. Trace that shape onto the white craft foam using the marker. Cut the snowman from the craft foam and turn it over so that the trace lines can’t be seen.
- Cut a basic top hat shape from the black craft foam. Use the glue to stick the hat to the top of the snowman’s head.
- Use the marker to draw out two branch arms for the snowman onto the brown craft foam. Cut them from the foam using the scissors. Turn the arms over so that the lines can’t be seen and glue them to the back side of the snowman’s midsection. Point the arms straight out or at an angle.
- Cut a triangle shaped nose form orange scrap fabric or felt. Glue the googly eyes and the nose to the face of the snowman. Use the marker to draw the snowman’s mouth. Use the glue to stick 3 buttons or pompoms down the center of the midsection of the snowman. Let all of the glue dry. Cut a strip of scrap fabric or felt that is about 1/8 an inch thick by 6 to 8 inches long. Tie this piece of fabric around the snowman’s neck to make a scarf.
- Use the scissors to cut a 1 or 2 inch piece of magnet tape. Stick the magnet to the back of the snowman. If necessary, glue can be added to the magnet tape to help it stick. Let the glue dry. Hang the snowman magnet on the refrigerator to display it.